The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a 10 gal sump for my 40 gal acrylic tank and it is working well. I run a Marineland canister with it as well because I think you can't have too much filtration. I have an unused 20 long that I can reseal and make into a sump. It will fit, but I will have to take out the cannister filter. I don't mind because the bigger sump and extra pump will more than make up for it. The 10 has one return pump, but I would like to have 2 in the 20. As the plumbing is already done, the 20 would have to be configured with the drains in the middle and the returns at each end. I don't see any problem with this configuration, but I am not a sump expert so I am asking here if anyone has tried this or sees any issues with it. If I have too I can reconfig the plumbing, but would rather not. TIA. Messy drawing attached,
Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, but all my sumps are the same. There is a few inches between the end of the pipes and the first sponge. Plenty of water if a fish got in. I have large pre filter sponges on the main drains and filter socks on the end of the emergency drains, and even so I get Platy fry in the sock on my 75. I only clean it out every month or so when I think about it. It is amazing the places and conditions fish can live. Then we try to give them the best and still they die....lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't get why people use 'bio media' with sponges since sponge is often a superior bio-media material than most bio-media material.
-
as for frys - well i would get a number of frys in my canister filter and lets not talk about the kuhli loaches that snuck down there not once but THREE times. Given that i only clean the canister once every 6 or 8 months well you can imagine how much time he spent down there....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use both because I can rinse the crap out of the sponges and it doesn't crash the cycle because of having the biomedia too. And I use sponges in ever finer layers to filter out as much detritus as possible.And I have the bio on hand so why not?

Reactions: scottwww

·
Registered
499 Posts
The simple answer is (at least for myself) is i would use more sponges where there is room for biomedia. Also rinsing a sponge shouldn't crash the cycle but if one is concern they can only rinse some of the sponges. Anyway you asked for feedback and while you might not agree with my feedback that is my answer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use both because I can rinse the crap out of the sponges and it doesn't crash the cycle because of having the biomedia too. And I use sponges in ever finer layers to filter out as much detritus as possible.And I have the bio on hand so why not?
I am also working on finalizing my sump design while acquiring plumbing parts. Foam will be used as my primary filtration, but I will probably also use some Seachem Matrix. Here is a comparison chart from the SwissTropicals website.
Font Parallel Paper Document Number

From what I can discern here, Matrix will provide more biological filtration than I could hope to get from all the foam I could possibly fit into the sump. The foam will keep the muck away from the Matrix.

Reactions: Leeatl

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am also working on finalizing my sump design while acquiring plumbing parts. Foam will be used as my primary filtration, but I will probably also use some Seachem Matrix. Here is a comparison chart from the SwissTropicals website.
View attachment 1033265
From what I can discern here, Matrix will provide more biological filtration than I could hope to get from all the foam I could possibly fit into the sump. The foam will keep the muck away from the Matrix.
There is an article that actually measured bacteria formation on the different media and matrix was no where that effective. The most effective material they found was k1 when used in an mbr but beyond that foam was significantly better. My vague recollation was 30ppi was better than 20ppi but I might have it reversed (they did not test 40ppi or 10ppi). This is of course a more effective method of determining effectiveness of media. Of course there might be flaws in how they performed their tests et well but I have doubts that 'micropores' is an equal measurement of effectiveness as well as other benefits of a particular media not considered by their tests.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is an article that actually measured bacteria formation on the different media and matrix was no where that effective. The most effective material they found was k1 when used in an mbr but beyond that foam was significantly better.
Interesting. It would be good to see the test info. Show me. I guess then than micropores are just not as effective as larger pores?

·
Registered
499 Posts
This isn't the paper but it is one comparison with some information as to how they came to their conclusion:

I found a couple of other charts that were independent that had similar but different rankings. Most of them were uniform on 30 ppi sponge was better than static k1 and ceramic rings was pretty bad. Also 30 ppi performs better than 20ppi (not sure why; but something to do with better water flow). I couldn't find the actual paper i had seen but i found some other papers that talked about k1 and sponges. Btw there is some material on that site i strongly disagree with in other sections so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't get why people use 'bio media' with sponges since sponge is often a superior bio-media material than most bio-media material.
-
as for frys - well i would get a number of frys in my canister filter and lets not talk about the kuhli loaches that snuck down there not once but THREE times. Given that i only clean the canister once every 6 or 8 months well you can imagine how much time he spent down there....
I clean my sponges every couple of weeks, but my media (seachem matrix) every few months, less chance of mini cycles imo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts