The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got this plant from a local waterway in Sumatera. It has already in my high light tank for almost a week, it grows fast and currently floating.

There is an interesting feature about this plant, if you notice those rounded organ inbetween the nodes.

I havent seen this kind of plant in the local market nor in aquascaping photos, so this one could be tricky to ID.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It's a good thing you read up on Utricularia! I was going to say "DON"T PUT IN A SHRIMP TANK!! At least not if you expect to breed shrimp.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plant is likely from Utricularia aurea kind (according to physical comparison).

I was puzzled myself when I grabbed the plant for the first time. With that "bladders" growing all over the plant, and at the time they were a lot darker than now, probably containing trapped souls :icon_roll

It is interesting of what you can find at a waterway/wetland... next time I hope to collect more species :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
LOL, the bladders are not big enough to be a danger to shrimp.
Not to adults and juvies, but I think they're big enough to be a danger to newborn hatchlings.
I could be wrong.

Tommy

·
Registered
223 Posts
"probably contain trapped souls"
LOL

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
The Utricularia species that are commonly found in aquaria U. gibba and U. graminifolia do not have bladders large enough to bother the baby shrimp of Neocardinian species, they will happily eat daphnia and cyclops. Other species however may have bladders large enough. On the International Carniverous Plant Society website, one suggestion for species with large baldders is to feed baby guppies.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv05n3p47_48.pdf

Make sure you read the second page, the section for Aldrovanda where they bring up bigger Utric species.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.