The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
There are no plecos that won't make a mess, but a small group of otocinclus will do about the same thing without messing up your plants. It can be a bit tricky to get healthy ones, they often come in with internal parasites or unknown issues, but if you get 6-8ish you should have a few left over. You need at least 3 to keep them happy, they tend to shoal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've personally kept L201 and L004 in my 38 gallon tanks with very little issue. They stay pretty small and haven't disturbed any plants. I also picked up some L010A (Red Lizard Catfish), and they're my new favorites right now.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Oh yeah, lizard cats or twig cats are generally good for planted tanks. Starving ones may chew on plants, but they don't really disturb much. Give them a solid surface to cling to, driftwood or such, and they're happy. They don't move much, but they do spend lots of time out in the open, and they look cool. Plus, you can just reach into the tank and pick them up, you don't even need a net. What other fish can you do that with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.