The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sulawesi cardinal shrimps

7940 Views 61 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Warlock
I want to start this thread for everyone to share our experiences in keeping this shrimp. Hopefully we can collect a good set of data and information on water parameters, food, breeding, etc. and a lot of pics.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
All I know is they sure are pretty little buggers. Would love to see some more solid info on keeping them.
yeah, that search is not relevant to this thread. I'll submit my parameters and tank info when I get home from work tonight. Great idea, guppies!
I have a small colony of wild caught Cardinals that I got earlier this year.
I have had 2 births from them with maybe 3 or 4 babies. I just saw another baby yesterday, so someone is producing in my tank. :proud:

My water parameters are PH 8+ temp is 27-29C, crushed coral substrate with lava rocks for them to hide in, they climb all over this rock which I believe has some form of micro-organisms growing on it that they like to eat! They share the 12 gallon tank with yellow shrimps, and eat algae wafers, flake food etc with the yellows, and orange poso snails.

I do a 20% water change every other week, and top up regularly with straight tap water with Amquel+ added.....that's it. PS I do not clean or syphon the bottom at all, snails do all the cleaning for me.

I started with 5 and have around 12 of them now, not a huge lot, but enought to keep me happy. :icon_lol:
Wow, janftica that is great to start with 5 and growing them to 12. I also used 100% TAP water to start. with Aragonite mixed with sand as my substrate, lace rocks in a 47 gallon tank. Also added a lot of leaf litter for them to hide. My water is 26-27 C, TDS = 475, I have not been monitoring my pH for the last 3 months. It's used to be around 8. WC is every two weeks, about 10-15% with various ratio RO and TAP to keep tds between 400-500. Food are shrimp cuisine, flakes (w/o copper), carrot, ken's veggies sticks, spirulina and shirakura powder.
The supplier also sent me some water samples (separately from the bags with shrimps), I checked the pH was 7.7-7.8, TDS between 250-320. I can't remember what the exact reading for gH and kH but approx. 6-8. They told me they keep the shrimps at 24-27C.
Ive actually put cooler water in with their water changes a couple of times and they don't react at all....I was told they needed 82F at least so try to keep it around 80-82F, seems to work. The funniest thing is when I am adding the new water, sometimes it stirs up the bottom and then there is a cloud of particles floating around the tank...Well, they are ALL out then, babies and adults...must be some food in the substrate that gets stirred up that they like...they are all over the rocks for hours after that, then go back to just hiding. They have become used to me though, as they do come right down to the front of the tank and I have put my finger on the glass and they don't move away...it took a while though. First couple of months I didn't know IF I had any alive, then gradually I'd see one, then 2, then 3....then when I put the yellow shrimps in with them, I guess they felt it was safe to come out....they started competing for the food LOL.

I want more though, I like them sooo much!
See less See more
I

My water parameters are PH 8+ temp is 27-29C, crushed coral substrate with lava rocks for them to hide in......

I do a 20% water change every other week.....
What is the hardness of you water?
yeah, that search is not relevant to this thread. I'll submit my parameters and tank info when I get home from work tonight. Great idea, guppies!
QFT! Awesome thread guppies, great contributions so far :D (sticky in the making right here)
Has anyone tried to grow diatoms as a food source for baby shrimps? I ordered fritz/2 solutions A and B with sodium silicate and they arrived a few days ago.
my sulawesi tank has diatoms I think... Brown algae-like stuff.

not on purpose, I just over-light the tank for algae growth
great stuff sulawesi baby shrimps need them to survive. I believe harlequin shrimps eat these too but that will be another topic.
my sulawesi tank has diatoms I think... Brown algae-like stuff.

not on purpose, I just over-light the tank for algae growth
Mine does as well, on the rocks.
This is why you guys are doing so well.
I really don't know how I got it, but it just grows on this rock I got off of ebay
I am making the solution and put leaves in there to grow them. I think they will be ready in 2 or 3 days.
This is why you guys are doing so well.
I figured this had to be key too. Some kind of micro living on algae, diatoms. Obviously though with the neurotic picking.
They remind me of SW shrimp a lot doing that, & they're picking micros. Maybe if we had some of the tiny things from the Sulawesi lakes it would help a lot:icon_mrgr

I used IAL's to success too. Guppies I need 1 of those leaves!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.