The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to start my first planted tank and I'm uncertain on what lighting too get. It's going to be a 10G (20x10) tank and I would like too put medium light plants in it. I am also looking for something under 100$ if possible. So do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
check craigs list. but watch out for fake (terrarium) tanks. Always ask the seller to fill the tank up with water...to the top and if you're going to get lights, filter etc, tell the person to show you if it works also, if you're getting a big tank, make shure that it has a brace because with out one, it will break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD8bCNOodWY

heres a link that will help you

good luck!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ther are many option to choose from in that range for a 10g. One of the cone work lights with a 23W cfl is on the cheaper end. You can also pick up some higher end LED lights as well. There's tons of other options.

Your best option to search around for something you like and then verify here that lighting level and if it will work.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Before I got a "real" aquarium light I just had the clamp on light from Home Depot for $9
Get a CFL bulb @ 6500K and 13 W...the 23-26 W one is too much unless you put it up higher. Some use those lights all the time for smaller tanks. They often remove the clamp and just hang it by the cord from a bookshelf bracket over the tank. Can be painted also...black or whatever. You can get that whole rig paint and all for $30.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's nice seeing people suggest things on here that don't have the word "Aqua" on them. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts