The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29gal that I want to be low-tech mediumish light. Could you give me some ideas? I currently have one 17watt t8 over it which I'm sure is reaallly low light right? From what I see T5HO lights would be too much since I don't want to do CO2.. I was trying to look into T5NO lights but all I see on sites like Marineland and Foster and Smith are HOs, so what is an NO sold as? Anyways now that I've thoroughly confused myself can you folks just offer some ideas and tips for lighting this baby?

·
Registered
769 Posts
To me adding another T8 17 watt would work.

I am going to do 2 T8 24" 17 watt bulbs for my 29 gallon, which is going to low possibly low-moderate plants.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that seems to be a lot easier than I was making it lol. No problem to slap another T8 up there!! Out of curiosity could anyone answer a technical question? As an example, why would say 40W of T8 light be ok for a tank but 40W of T5HO would be too much? Is this where the PAR comes in? If I'm even thinking of that the right way?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Good morning Dish..

I have a couple of 30 Gs I keep to grow plants for my larger tanks and use a single, 17 watt, 6500 K, T8 in each. You can get a GE Aquarium Plant bulb with these specs at the local hardware store for less than $10.00. There's no need for anything pricey.

Granted, you need to keep to low light plants, but this is enough light to grow Pennywort, a couple varieties of Cryptocoryne, Java fern, Anubias, Mosses, Peace lily and some of the taller Amazon swords too.

These are more than enough plants to fill a small 29 or 30 G.

B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.