The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my setup is a 40 breeder with 36" Finnex planted+, eco-complete substrate, and pressurized co2. I will be trying EI for ferts. I'm not sure on how to go about it being sometimes I have to be away for work for few weeks at a time so water changes wouldn't get done. My girlfriend would feed fish and add ferts.

As for as plants go I would like a carpet of pearlweed in front of the driftwood but i not sure of what to go with for the rest of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
EI is not good without water changes. The injected CO2 is also overkill in this case as tanks/w these require weekly maintenance and trimming.
A high maintenance tank requires high maintenance...so...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Injected CO2 is never overkill, IMO. However, leaving a tank for a few weeks with no water changes and continued dosing and growth...doesn't sound like too good of a deal. I would suggest teaching the gf to do water changes and your problems may be solved. If you set her up right with an Aqueon water changer or similar, a 40g tank would not be very difficult at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a python water changer I just have to get it to work on my facet then it shouldn't be a problem for her to handle that.

Low light EI with one dosing a week was what I was planing on doing.

Most of the time I will be able to the maintenance required with this setup.
Would not trimming the plant for 3-4 week(only maybe 2-3 times a year this would happen) then coming in and doing a big trimming some how be bad for them, and if so what if I cut back on the time the lights are on and do 1/2 doses of ferts while I'm away to slow down growth? Would that just be asking for more trouble?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a python water changer I just have to get it to work on my facet then it shouldn't be a problem for her to handle that.

Low light EI with one dosing a week was what I was planing on doing.

Most of the time I will be able to the maintenance required with this setup.
Would not trimming the plant for 3-4 week(only maybe 2-3 times a year this would happen) then coming in and doing a big trimming some how be bad for them, and if so what if I cut back on the time the lights are on and do 1/2 doses of ferts while I'm away to slow down growth? Would that just be asking for more trouble?
I think your better off teaching the old lady to remove and replace 50% of the water once a week. You want to be consistent with the light and the ferts otherwise your asking for an algae bomb.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I think your better off teaching the old lady to remove and replace 50% of the water once a week. You want to be consistent with the light and the ferts otherwise your asking for an algae bomb.
^This. I taught my parents how to do 50% water changes on my 75...dosing is a bit of a mess though because even I don't know how the hell to dose that tank *sigh*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went ahead and planted the pearlweed and have been using low light EI for ferts with weekly 50% water changes and it has been good. I did a few trimmings to keep it all about the same hight as some was growing up while some was growing horizontal and keep it out the area I don't want it to grow. I did get alot of algae around 3 weeks after I started the tank so I moved my ottos out of my other tank and the took care of most it in a few days. I'm still getting a little on the wood but I'm not really concerned about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
One nice thing about that Pearl weed is that it floats once you trim it.
Makes trimming a lot easier. When I trim my Java moss or Fissidens I sit in front of that tank a few more hrs for the first week spotting the pieces I missed that went down to the bottom. If you don't take them out they become new spots where that grows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.