The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
UNS 90U - 21 gallon low-boy
163 Posts
Hi,

First, begin with the end result in mind. What do you want the tank to look like in the end? Aquascaping with rocks exclusively is known as iwagumi. If that's what you are after, then use 3, 5, 7 or 9 rocks for the basis of it.

Second, divide the aquarium into thirds and place the main, large stone at the third line, either right or left. Then begin placing stones, one at a time, in such a way that their position naturally supports the big one. Try to build up stones around the third line that you used for the big one.

Third, place some of the final smaller stones on the opposing third (on the other side) to balance the layout. The stones should typically be pointing towards the larger rock and the larger rock should not point up and down but at an angle.

Lastly, triangles are your friend. Here's an analysis I did go George Farmer's One-Pot Iwagumi. It will give you some idea of how George built his rock aquascape.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Tell you what I do.
Cut a piece of cardboard same size as bottom of the tank and then place the cardboard on table with a chair posistioned at eye level .
Then arrange the rock's in different way's till it suit's you,, for it is you that will be looking at it most of the time.
I have found this to be easier than trying to arrange the hardscape while standing above the tank,stepping back,re-arranging,stepping back etc.

·
Registered
UNS 90U - 21 gallon low-boy
163 Posts
MUCH better. The left two most rocks need work. The larger one doesn't seem to be sitting in a natural position. Play with that one.

The smaller one that is propping up the larger one should move forward out of there.

Again, look for a natural position pointing towards the larger one.

Great work!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Six rocks instead of 5 or 7 is throwing it off but may be able to be worked with.
In the first post, last picture the second largest rock looks a lot better.
Try turning the large one just a bit counter clockwise and then placing that second one as we see it in the first post and turning it various ways to see if it then compliments
the larger one better. To the left side of the larger one of course.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I thought it looked weird after looking at it for 5 mins.. here is the changes i made.. about to go to bed.. ill be picking up the foam and finishing it up tomorrow.. hopefully my fish live =0(

I would just remove the left rear rock completely and stick with 5 total as they are above. I think they will look great like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.