The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on how to raise rocks about 3 inches off the bottom of my tank. The rock I’m trying to elevate is about 25 pounds, a foot tall and maybe 4”x6” at the edge I would like to stand it on. It is too heavy to be supported/elevated by the substrate alone and moves when I try to rest it on the substrate.
People have mentioned drainage cells/ flo cells in other threads, but I could not find those locally and online they are too expensive to ship. One site cost $6.99 for the drainage cell and $90.00 for shipping because of where I live. I’ve looked for something comparable on Amazon, but haven’t had any luck.
I am thinking of using egg crate raised by pvc, but am concerned a large rock may be too heavy for the egg crate and would crack it at the pressure points.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The trickiest part in raising rocks is determining gender to get a matched pair. Next trickiest is getting them to breed.
Its hyper important to get similar species of rocks, you don't want to accidentally make a hybrid....

Anyway I use mesh laundry bags with draw strings or plastic zippers and lava rock from the hardware store. Very cheap and easy and you can get as much height as you want by stacking multiple bags.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if I’m ready for the rock breeding efforts. More of a hammer and chisel the rock parents into rock babies process.
Thank you for the lava rock suggestions, I think that will be more sturdy than the egg crate option I was thinking of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.