The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60gal Tank Set-Up​

So I'm doing some research and found a sh*t ton of B.E.A.Utiful plants that I could have in my tank which right now I'm redoing my substrate to have eco-complete in it as well and I'm going to hopefully have a nice light fixture on the holidays. Maybe even later I'll get a Co2 injection system, but that can wait. I have 2o something different plants on my list ranging from foreground, mid ground, and background:
---------------------------------------…
> Rotala Verticillaris
> Riccia Fluitans
> Lileaopsis Brasiliensis
> Hygrophila Polysperma
> Heteranthera Zosterifolia
> Glossostigma Elatinoides
> Didiplis Diandra
> Cyperus Helferi
> Cabomba Furcata
> Ammannia Gracilis
> Java Moss
> Anubias Congensis
> Cryptocoryne Wendtii
> Vallisneria Gigantea
> Broadleaf Sword
> Nomaphila Stricta
> Cordyline Red Edge
> Pogostemon Stellatus
> Limnophila Aromatica
> Sagittaria Platyphylla
---------------------------------------…

I know I could fill my tank up with just one, but lets say I'm doing a symmetrical style design, and so just think of filling a 30 gallon tank, how many plants could you do if you chose background, mid-ground, and foreground plants how many could you shove in that small space?

Also, I need help selecting plants from the list that would look REALLY good with each other so I need help with that, I plan on making my tank symmetrical so that the only non-symmetrical aspect of my tank is this big branching driftwood piece I have floating in the corner of my tank that looks sweet. The next thing is having most of my small 5"-12" drift wood pieces in the center and they spiral outward, on the left and right side of my tank I'm having two stacks of slate.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would omit plants that are too much alike.
Vals and most Sagitaria for example, tend to look about the same, unless you allow the Sag to grow into its emersed state. Val gigantea needs a larger tank, so use the Sag.

Stem plants with fine leaves tend to look too similar to each other. Choose perhaps a red one and a green one. And make sure they stay small enough, or look good when trimmed.

Swords and many Anubias can get quite large. Are these small enough to have both in one tank? Might be too much for just a 30 gallon. Choose one. Center piece. Anubias of course grows on the driftwood.

Cordyline are not under water plants. OK to grow out of the top of the tank, roots in water, stem and leaves in the air. Needs support to stay upright.

·
Registered
559 Posts
a lot going here with the list that you generated.
sounds like you might be going dutch.

as for which plants look good with each other, it's really more subjective than firm as to which preferences are better than others, however there are a few things to consider:
size, leaf size/shape, growing habit, and color. quick crash course:

size: pretty obvious, some plants get large, others get small, in general, you want to mix like with like, large with large, small with small. A huge mother plant of Anubias heterophylla next to a small Riccia stone might not be the best compliment. there are a few exceptions to the rule, but those will be touched further down.

leaf size/shape: http://blocs.xtec.cat/seashell/2008/05/05/84/ --as you can see, different types of leaves and shapes. try to either find plants that can compliment each other's leaf morphology, such as limnophila aromatica paired with rotala verticillaris (you might hate this combo, but you get the idea)

growing habit: refers to foreground, midground, background as well as actual growth: stemmed rosetted, prostrate rosetted, epiphyte, runners, etc. like with like goes well here. for example, a semi mixed carpet of lilaenopisis, elocharis, UG, and Echinodorus tenellus could look very nice if you play your cards right.

colors: here we can break the rules a little bit. we can go with a like with like, or we can chose complimenting colors. for example, Java fern 'Narrow Leaf' paired along with Blyxa japonica or aubertii can go well with each other. Both share a narrow leaf morphology, but the dark leaves of java will make the yellowish leaves of Blyxa pop out.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Diana

Hmmm, you might be confused - I have a 60 gallon tank but I'm picking plants that can be symmetrical and go on both sides of the tank, most likely I'll have just one foreground and one background. Mid-ground is another story where I'll need help in cramming them together

1 - 4 of 4 Posts