The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to be flooding my 12 gallon long DSM in a couple of weeks. I have been looking online for different fish options and am thinking seriously about some sort of pygmy rasbora. Does anyone have tiny fish they're enamored with? The smallest fish I keep right now are endlers... I'd like something colorful and not too prolific, as the tank isn't that big. Anyone have experience with neon green rasboras?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Definitely not glofish. They're still too active for a 10g, and they're not usually very healthy. They've had some inbreeding issues.

Try chili, phoenix, or mosquito rasboras. Maximum size is about .5", they're colorful, and you could keep probably 20+ in there.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I've had mine for a while, I only saw how they glow under a UV light like 2 weeks ago. My daughter has a little torch with a UV LED, that came with some glow in the dark easter eggs...

·
Registered
401 Posts
By neon green rasboras, do u mean Microdevario Kubotai? If u do they are indeed a nice fish as I heard. But my favorite fish is indeed pygmy corys and dwarf corys u could put in a ashoal of 6-8 or so or more in that tank. They are great fish indeed, peaceful, not overly active and fun to watch them forage. They can breed quite easily though. As said above, Boboras.sp like pheonix, chilli or spotted rasboras would be great too. Also a trio of clown killifish will be an interesting choice, but they can spawn rather unexpected like mine did :D. Well theres lots of nano fish out there and pick the one you like-anything like 1 inch big and not overly active or aggressive will be fine.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely not glofish. They're still too active for a 10g, and they're not usually very healthy. They've had some inbreeding issues.

Try chili, phoenix, or mosquito rasboras. Maximum size is about .5", they're colorful, and you could keep probably 20+ in there.
The ones I've seen have looked pretty meh. Plus, I'm really kind of freaked out by the bio-engineered part. I realize they're serving a much-needed function in polluted riverways, etc., but they just look so unnatural.

I love the chili rasboras. I'm going to put them in a nano I have -- probably 5 or so. My husband is really taken with the neon green rasboras, so I think I'll probably go in that direction. Have you kept the phoenix rasboras?

Bump:
I've had mine for a while, I only saw how they glow under a UV light like 2 weeks ago. My daughter has a little torch with a UV LED, that came with some glow in the dark easter eggs...
LOL! Kids dig them. As a child of the 80's I can appreciate their neon-ness. ;-)

Bump:
By neon green rasboras, do u mean Microdevario Kubotai? If u do they are indeed a nice fish as I heard. But my favorite fish is indeed pygmy corys and dwarf corys u could put in a ashoal of 6-8 or so or more in that tank. They are great fish indeed, peaceful, not overly active and fun to watch them forage. They can breed quite easily though. As said above, Boboras.sp like pheonix, chilli or spotted rasboras would be great too. Also a trio of clown killifish will be an interesting choice, but they can spawn rather unexpected like mine did :D. Well theres lots of nano fish out there and pick the one you like-anything like 1 inch big and not overly active or aggressive will be fine.
I do mean the Kubotai. My husband is in love with them. I think that's the direction we're heading. I love corys, but I kill them faster than you can blink for some reason. Admittedly, I haven't tried them here in Colorado since we moved -- it could have purely been a water issue. I really dig corys. Several of my friends here keep them.

Bump:
Another vote for chili rasboras - gorgeous little fish.
I love how truly RED they are... I have a tank in the kitchen that's just about done cycling that I'm going to put chilis in.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Galaxy rasbora look like tiny brook trout.
I love fish that look like they're straight out of the rivers and lakes! I have trout goodeids and am working on a biotope for them... They're jerks with other fish, but I love their "wild" look!

Bump:
I also vote for galaxy rasbora or chili rasbora. I have galaxy and man they are great. So small and vibrant. Also active. The last bonus with these fish is that they are not impossible to come buy in the LFS!
Does anyone know how different types of dwarf rasboras would do with one another? I love the chili rasboras and my husband loves the neon greens, so I might get a small group of each.

I really love galaxy rasboras! I'm going to add a small shoal of them to my tangerine tiger tank this spring. I've been so swamped with work that I've been moderately neglectful -- everyone has clean water and food, but their tanks need some scaping maintenance, etc., etc. I know of a couple of stores here in the Denver area that carry the galaxy rasbora, so they're definitely on my list!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a small tank, I would stick to one or the other... The fish will be happier with one large school, rather than two smaller ones.
Okay, I'm definitely not going to do anything that will stress them. Since my husband rarely has an opinion on anything fish-related, I think I'll defer to his choice this time... now I just need to find them locally. ;-)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Its not a stress thing as much, as them having developed a defence system that relies on safety in numbers. Without it they may feel vulnerable and hide out more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love the rasboras as well. But you might look at white cloud mountain minnow too. There are long-finned and golden versions that I've seen at my LFS as well. They can actually be quite eye catching and are very active. Just a thought. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.