The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all :)

Been awhile since I posted, but I always do love lurking. Figured I might de-lurk to see if I can elicit some ideas.

I am moving soon, and I am taking the opportunity to overhaul and completely do over my 40 breeder. I don't have plans for specific plants quite yet, because I want to get the fish options handled first.

What I have in there now is a school of 15 rummynose tetra (bleheri variety). And one single lone pygmy cory that I had thought died, but evidently had not. I know I will increase the pygmy cory school, but was wondering if I should get an apisto or ram or something similar.

I like the idea of a "centerpiece fish", but I had had larger fish in the tank previously, and the rummynose did nothing but cluster in a corner more often than not. Once I removed the larger fish (they were boisterous bosemani) to a larger tank, the rummynose came back out of their shy little shells. So whilst a larger centerpiece fish might be nice, it would have to be something mellow and laid back that the rummynose wouldn't fret over.

Ideas? :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 55 gal with pygmy cories, neon tetras, a couple of other small fish schools, and a Bolivian ram as the centerpiece, and she's never bothered any of them in the least. Actually, at feeding time, she eats like Cookie Monster, and the smaller schools will follow her around to clean up the pellet dust coming out of her gills. It's great!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Rummys can be a bit shy, so I think your idea of a Dwarf Cichlid for a centerpiece fish is good. A pair or colony (depending on the species).
Not sure that they get along with Cories, though. Cories do not always respect the Cichlid claims for territory.

Smaller Gouramis like Honeys might be better. Pearls are mostly pretty peaceful, calm fish, but they are so large the Rummys might see them as danger.

If it is a covered tank perhaps some Hatchets? They sure will be up at the top!

·
1,983 Posts
I have a pair of angels in my 80 with bolivians, gold rams, kribs, rummynose, corys and otos. The rummynose are constantly schooling out front. The biggest bullys have to be the kribs but the rummys are for the most part ignored. I think a 40b is a bit small for angels, but a pair or 2 or rams should do the trick just fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give Bolivians a look, or perhaps a colony of Apistos. My substrate is CaribSea Voodoo River gravel and not sand, and I have heard Bolivians have problems with gravel? Is that accurate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts