The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 80gal with mbunas that unfortunately were shipped to me with flukes and I suspect, internal parasites. I'm currently doing a treatment in the tank which is due to end next week. But I want to be sure the tank is completely free of any potential threat for its new inhabitants/new build I'm due to start later next week, using the same tank.

Any suggestions as to make sure It's completely safe? Also, I'll be using a different filtration system/canister entirely that's uncontaminated.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have an 80gal with mbunas that unfortunately were shipped to me with flukes and I suspect, internal parasites. I'm currently doing a treatment in the tank which is due to end next week. But I want to be sure the tank is completely free of any potential threat for its new inhabitants/new build I'm due to start later next week, using the same tank.

Any suggestions as to make sure It's completely safe? Also, I'll be using a different filtration system/canister entirely that's uncontaminated.
If this is an empty tank then you can rub down with a dilute bleach mixture or vinegar. Rinse thoroughly. Fill and drain. Good to go.

·
Banned
628 Posts
To disinfect an empty aquarium, add 500 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 100 liters of water. Gravel is best disinfected by baking it at 150 C for two hours not including warm up time. Let the filter operate but without any contents. Let the solution stand in the tank for three days with the lamp turned on during this time. Then empty the tank and rinse it out with tap water.

-Handbook of Fish Diseases, Dieter Untergasser

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If you want to be absolutely safe:

Dump bleach into the tank, and run it at aound .5 cup bleach/5 galllons for 24 hours. If possible, stir up the substrate as much as you can.

Remove all hardscape and substrate. Rinse everything thoroughly. Allow everything to dry thoroughly for at least 2 days. If you have substrate, I recommend rinsing it thoroughly, and spreading it out somewhere sunny and warm to dry for a very long time.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I like this one.

》》》》NUCLEAR OPTION《《《《

Add 30 ml of 37% formalin to 10 liters of water. (Grab the wife, the kids and your pets and run for your lives) Fumes in the air can irritate respiratory passages. Working with formalin solutions can irritate the skin. In addition, remember that formalin is carcinogenic.

-Handbook of Fish Diseases, Dieter Untergasser

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have added that the tank is completely bare at the moment.

Bleach solution and drying for a number of days seems like the way to go. I really appreciate the feedback

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.