The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my regulator. The GLA Gro-1. And now I'm wondering what else to go with it. I have decided to put this set up on my 40 gallon and break down my 10 gallon. The 40 is medium light. I use an aqueon HOB for now as filtration. I was planning on renting a co2 tank from a local gas place. The regulator says it has a check valve as part of the regulator in the diagram that came with it. Do I need a check valve? I was planning on getting the GLA atomic diffuser that isn't the in-line one and has the check valve as well. Not sure what size I will need for a 40B. Any suggestions? What drop checker is good? I can't afford a pH probe at the moment. Anything else you can think of that would be helpful? Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
How about the following:

1. Needle valve
2. Bubble counter
3. CO2 Reactor (instead of the diffuser)
4. Solenoid (for timed operation)
No.92 sounds pretty much spot on, however, taking a look at the Gro-1 on GLA's website it looks like it comes with a bubble counter, solenoid, and needle valve as part of the build. If you're satisfied with those parts (and I guess you should be otherwise you wouldn't have purchased) you probably don't need much else.

Maybe another check valve as a backup? Airline/CO2 tubing if you need it. And a timer to run the solenoid so you can turn CO2 on and off with the lights.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Well if your keeping the HOB you'll have to get a power head or something to drive a reactor. Canisters are somewhat better with co2, but you can make the HOB work as long as there's not too much splashing at the surface.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a HOB filter at the moment and don't think a co2 reactor works with that correct? I don't plan on upgrading to a canister until the HOB poops out.

Bump:
Well if your keeping the HOB you'll have to get a power head or something to drive a reactor. Canisters are somewhat better with co2, but you can make the HOB work as long as there's not too much splashing at the surface.
Ah thank you! You beat me to my own question. :)

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
No, it wouldn't you would need either a canister filter or a power head to move the water through the reactor. The atomic or regular ceramic diffuser will be fine. I've used diffusers on 4 foot tanks without issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.