The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions for a red, mid level, slow grow plant. I have red nesea now, but i have hard water so I am having trouble keeping them red.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have high light, dry fertz, and co2, and I don't want to mess with my hardness because the rest of the tank is thriving and I don't want the extra work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may have answered my own question through research on this site. Red plants can be enhanced. But, it really has to do with good nutrients. Also, my problem may be the depth of tank, 26 inches. I have noticed that reds at the top of the tank are red, and my problems are the plants at the bottom.
thanks to all that have provided insight.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Barclaya longifolia is in no way an mid-ground plant! I have grown and flowered the plant several times.

The leaves can grow from 12" to 30" long, making it pretty unsuitable for midground placement in a smaller aquarium in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts

I use 1.8W gal at 20 Cm above the tank and the tank is 60cm deep. L peruensis/granulosus. Nice deep rich burgandy color.

You do not need lots of light. This plant grows slow, but it is not too bad, there are plenty of others that grow well.

A reineckii also, but again, use less light => easier CO2 and nutrient demands.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have planted three sets of Alternanthera reineckii. After several weeks, the leaves are shriveling, losing color, and they have black spots.

Not enough light? What do you think is the problem?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.