The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's the story. A while ago i set up an emersed setup in a basement, at first it did decent, but then, the plants started to die, even with new potting ground etc.. So I figured its the basement temperature. its just a bit over 50°f there the entire year.

To counter this, I decided to make an aquaponics style emersed setup. I got a spare barrel, where the guppies wil be in. With a pump leading to the trays with hydro clay pebles.(all the plumbing is done and functioning)

The barrel will be about 82,4°F.

There will be No plants in the barrel. I do not want light over it, so algae growth will be minimal and the plants in the trays will get most nutritions.

The issue with that is guppies being canibalistic. I have about 30 guppies swimming around in another tank somewhere. Do you guys have any idea how to get most of the fry to adulthood witouth being eaten by the other adult guppies? No moss or other plants allowed :p

thanks in advance for any tip

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Large/dense plastic fern (hobby lobby) weighted ,and placed in the bottom of the barrel.
Is unlikely that adult guppies will be able to keep up with the number's of fry capable of being produced every four week's.
Hence ,how folk's get inundated with fry after only a few month's in most instances.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You can place rocks with slight gaps underneath on the bottom, and float large bundles of netting (large enough holes for fry) with some ping pong balls or something floaty.They are only at risk that first week or so, after witch only ones with swimming problems etc. will get caught. I would use only one strain of guppies, if you start with a mix, you will end with mutts.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would any other fish be better than guppies for this project? I dont like guppies particularly much xD they would just be for the project.

I like the netting a lot, seems inexpensive and practical.

I like the fern idea too :p but i wouldn't know where to get it(dont live in america :p), and on google, a fern the size i would need, is going to be rather costly

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Is that the required temperature for the crop(s) you are growing?
Fish that need the warmest temperature and breed fast... you could look into other live bearers, but I think Guppies are among the most commonly available and fastest breeding that handle that temperature.

If you got the temperature closer to the mid 70s F you might look into Platies.

Also, what will be the GH, KH and pH of the water? Most live bearers prefer somewhat harder, alkaline water. Some Guppies and Platies will tolerate softer water.

Ditto the suggestion of fake plants. Perhaps if you look into aquarium plants that someone does not want, anymore? Bleach them to get rid of possible diseases.
Also, look into a product called Bio Bale. It is intended as biological media, but ought to work just fine as a fry-hiding media.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no intention of eating fish i grow xD... i like eating fish but i'm not killing it lol, and that besides tilapia and tropical food graded catfish are really hard to obtain in my country :p

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
would any other fish be better than guppies for this project? I dont like guppies particularly much xD they would just be for the project.

I like the netting a lot, seems inexpensive and practical.

I like the fern idea too :p but i wouldn't know where to get it(dont live in america :p), and on google, a fern the size i would need, is going to be rather costly
Most people who do aquarium aquaponics (not intending to eat the fish that grow) typically use high biolaod non aquatic plant friendly fish such as pleco (i did-be mindful common and leopard plecos need 180-300g+ (681-1135 L) tanks full grown), African cichlid communities, or goldfish setups. For a 'barrel' tank I couldn't recommend any of those though, its too small (not enough length for swim room.
If you put a lid on you could breed mystery or apple snails (there's one coloration called 'peppermint' very pretty shell look) and be sure to feed them a lot, they'll give a good bioload and don't need a ton of room (but I'd suggest per-cycling the tank for them).

If you want to do guppies look for places that sell silk plants for home decor, make sure the rigid part is NOT metal and you're good to go (if it has a metal rod in it, it need to be removed). Get a bunch of them, and maybe some driftwood to give elevation to tie them too.. or suction cups+fishing line

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
breeding is not per see the most important part, the waste the fish produce is, and what is better(and as cheap) then a tank full of guppies xD...

Guppies and or Molly's would be suitable for the high temp's mentioned, but not both species together (cross breeding), never a good idea IMHO.
Do be mindful that water in barrel/tub could climb higher if outdoors on concrete or in full sun.
I keep bait fish in galvanized tub's outdoor's for use while fishing, and seldom need heater lest the temp's rise above 90 degree's F and cook the fish. (been there)
Too much shade,and plant's struggle.
Temps much higher than the 84 degree's mentioned,and fishes might also suffer, as evidenced by all of em gasping at surface due to lower O2 at these temps.
Temps mentioned would be entirely too warm for goldfish or pleco's who enjoy/thrive in much cooler water.IME

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guppies and or Molly's would be suitable for the high temp's mentioned, but not both species together (cross breeding), never a good idea IMHO.
Do be mindful that water in barrel/tub could climb higher if outdoors on concrete or in full sun.
I keep bait fish in galvanized tub's outdoor's for use while fishing, and seldom need heater lest the temp's rise above 90 degree's F and cook the fish. (been there)
Too much shade,and plant's struggle.
Temps much higher than the 84 degree's mentioned,and fishes might also suffer, as evidenced by all of em gasping at surface due to lower O2 at these temps.
Temps mentioned would be entirely too warm for goldfish or pleco's who enjoy/thrive in much cooler water.IME
u've been able to crossbred guppies with mollies?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
u've been able to crossbred guppies with mollies?

Yes.(not on purpose).
Male molly's will crossbreed with larger female guppies both fancy or common.(close species)
Male molly's don't have to be very large to get busy, and adult female fancy ,or common guppies, are not as small as fancy male guppies.
Swordtail's and platy's can crossbreed as well.(close species)
Mollies cannot cross with platy's or sword tail's. (not like species).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.