The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I have a 29 gallon tall black water style tank. From left to right it measures around 30 inches, I believe. Currently just have a couple fluorescent hood style lights on tank (got off Craigslist years ago) and not really doing much to illuminate or help my plants grow. I am in plans of having a friend build me a wooden topper for tank (to match my cherry wood stand) so the light I get has to be able to to be fastened inside that whenever it is complete (so has to be under 30 inches) but also need a light that has mount that will allow it to rest comfortably on top until I have the top built.Currently have frogbit and duckweed toppers and a newly created Xmas moss wall (2 12x12 stainless steel mesh with acrylic clear backings sewn to them to sandwich he moss) and star grass in the tank. The fish i have are 6 neon tetras, 2 black rasboras (I believe), 6 blue long fin danios and 6-10 2-3 month old L183's (l183 will be arriving in week or two, Some coming in mail and some from LFS). So looking for quality but trying not to go over 150-200 , so any suggestions would be most appreciative. Apologize for the lengthy post :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if it can be modified to be mounted into a canopy (possibly could) but I've had my Finnex Ray 2 for 2 weeks and I am really loving it on my ten gallon. I'm getting ready to order another for my 20 gallon long. All of my plants are showing new growth under the new LED's vs my old t5HO's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Currently I have a 29 gallon long black water style tank. I am in plans of having a friend build me a wooden topper for tank (to match my cherry wood stand) so the light I get has to be able to to be fastened inside that whenever it is complete (so has to be under 30 inches) but also need a light that has mount that will allow it to rest comfortably on top until I have the top built. (l183 will be arriving in week or two, Some coming in mail and some from LFS). So looking for quality but trying not to go over 150-200 , so any suggestions would be most appreciative. Apologize for the lengthy post :)
What you are wanting to do is similar to what I did recently to my 29 gal. :)
Built a wood canopy....
[/URL][/IMG]

Installed A 14 Cree LED kit WITH heatsinks from AquastyleOnline for $210 total shipped!
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/14-Cree-LEDs-Controller-DIY-kit.html
[/URL][/IMG]

5 white 6500K and 2 warm white 3000K on 1st channel, And 5 white 6500K with 2 royal blue on 2nd channel.
[/URL][/IMG]

Incredible lighting and color! Oh, and I have four L183's in this tank! I don't get to see them very often. :icon_sad:
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Light

@Mark Allred: That's pretty close to what I was thinking except I was thinking of adding a fan in it in case of hot days.

Buckled and went to Petsmart and got a marineland led light. I don't know if I made a good choice or not, so please leave responses. Will post a pic of the box, think I paid around $75.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Not enough light for a 29g. These lights came out very early in LED time and lack
decent spectrum. It will wash out most/some of the color of your tank.
Since I don't do LED I don't know which ones are better for color enhansement.
But I bought one of the Double Bright in those for my 10g and after three weeks of it being on my tank, it now takes up space in the closet and I went back to T8 bulbs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been looking at the finnex lights. Which of them would be perfect for the setup I have? Keep in mind I don't use co2 so the light needs something for plant growth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I put my Fluval Aqualife and Plant in all my plants took off. I have a 75 gallon so I also wanted a little more light towards the back so I also run a Satellite Freshwater Plus. I also have a 24" Fluval Aqualife that I use on a 20 gallon and it does very well for my purposes however I have found that with the Satellite Plus you can set up your spectrum the way you prefer.

Both sit well on top of the tank but I think the Satellite would be easier to mount. Amazon had them for the cheapest prices last time I was looking.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Been looking at the finnex lights. Which of them would be perfect for the setup I have? Keep in mind I don't use co2 so the light needs something for plant growth.
I have experience with the Ray 2. We put one on a friends 75.
It grows plants OK, but the Leds are a little stark.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5652962&highlight=#post5652962

If you bought the Ray 2 and the Monster Ray for $200,
you could have bought the same kit I have .
It includes a controller that has a timer, sunrise/sunset. and 6 channels to custom tune color balance. It was simple to set up! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided to go with a finnex planted plus for my 29 gallon tall and gonna see if my new marineland led will be overkill with it on tank when I order it in next few days. Also decided to go with a custom USA satellite plus for my 75 gallon turtle tank. No plants in that tank so the different features are what sold me on that and was able to get the 48" new on petco for $112 with free shipping (had a one day 30% off sale for 3/31). Hopefully I should be good on lighting for atleast a little while. Appreciate everyone's added information and suggestions on this subject.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ johnnytrn I would of returned it but I live about a hour away from the store I got it from. So prolly just gonna keep because all my other light sources are just basic fluorescents and can't hurt to have a led light just incase.

·
Registered
53 Posts
True Lumen lights come with canopy mounting brackets and can daisy chain together.. Just in case you need more par at substrate level

1 - 12 of 12 Posts