The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello all! I have a half filled 10 gallon blackwater with only about 20 ppm tds (the PH is currently unknown but is doubtless acidic). I was originally planning on this being a licorice gourami tank, but I am open to other options...any suggestions for tiny blackwater fishes?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nanochromis in a half filled standard 10 gallon? I heard they're really aggressive to each other...

Anyhow, any other suggestions? (PH...I got my PH tester in the mail and the tank's PH is currently about 6. However, I have been soaking the rainwater being chiefly used in the tank in peat moss for a week before water changes, and that water is about 5, so it is likely going to drop over the next few weeks).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Nanochromis in a half filled standard 10 gallon? I heard they're really aggressive to each other...

Aggression varies between individuals. I kept a pair temporarily in a 5.5 before ultimately moving them to a 10. They got on very well & probably would have bred if they didn't both die of the bloat within a few weeks of each other. I've since learned that it was most likely the feeding of bloodworms & blackworms that did them in.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost exactly that...6 inches of water and 6 inches of air space in this 10 gallon. All that air space is to allow for abundant emersed watersprite growth...I had a similar setup that had less air space, and the water sprite grew right up to the light and burned somewhat. Not to mention half filled looks more attractive than some other fraction...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.