The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I keep most of my tanks on a metal shelving system designed for garage use. The shelving itself are small steel rods (think of an infant version of rebar) - it's one of the Husky industrial shelves from Home Depot.

On the bottom shelf are two 10 gallon tanks (eventually the entire shelf will be filled with these for shrimp). One of the bottom tanks is for quarantine/hospital and is heated, the other unheated for cherry shrimp (bottom row will eventually have more 10 gallon tanks for cherry shrimp). Shelf above has a 20 long and another 10 gallon for shrimp. The 20 long is to be used as a "cold" tank setup, I wanted to do CPDs and clown kilifish with shrimp as clean up crew. I noticed at night, when the lights have been on most of the day, the water temps reach around 78F without a heater! In the mornings, the temps are around 76-76.5F. Isn't a 1.5-2F change over 7-8 hours probably too much for the shrimp (and fish)? Should I just abandon these plans and keep heaters for the evenings? Should I add a small clip on fan to circulate air so the lighting doesn't heat up the water (this is what I'm guessing is the reason, either that or it's because I lower the temp a degree or two when going to bed, but I didn't think that would make it drop 2 degrees overnight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the temp changes during the year wouldn't be an issue since it wouldn't change so quickly over time versus a 2 degree fluctuation overnight. Maybe I should have my lights come on later in the afternoon and shut off later in the evening/early morning... but then again that would just make it cooler later in the day lol

In the winter I usually set my thermostat to 69 so I'm guessing the water would be around 65-68F - I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with it, I'm thinking there could be heat build up from the lights from above the tank and below as well for shelves 2 and 3. My 5 gallon mixed shrimp tank that I regularly cull is on its own stand I built next to the shelving and it had a similar change in temp as well but a little bit less extreme (since it doesn't get as warm in the tank by early evening vs the ones on the shelving).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I figured the temp changes during the year wouldn't be an issue since it wouldn't change so quickly over time versus a 2 degree fluctuation overnight. Maybe I should have my lights come on later in the afternoon and shut off later in the evening/early morning... but then again that would just make it cooler later in the day lol

In the winter I usually set my thermostat to 69 so I'm guessing the water would be around 65-68F - I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with it, I'm thinking there could be heat build up from the lights from above the tank and below as well for shelves 2 and 3. My 5 gallon mixed shrimp tank that I regularly cull is on its own stand I built next to the shelving and it had a similar change in temp as well but a little bit less extreme (since it doesn't get as warm in the tank by early evening vs the ones on the shelving).
A 2 degree shift over a period of hours is literally nothing to worry about. All of these critters evolved in the wild where rain can drop the temperature and ph in the space of a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

Yep, throughout the year slowly no problem, but 2 degrees overnight is not alot IMO.

The temp in the water would b e a little cooler, unless as you mentioned the lights are heating it up. I've never gone down to 65F, but 68 hasn't been a problem and my temps are usually around 72. I just think many automatically think you need 75-78 and put heaters in, I've never found that with the fish I've kept.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worried about it getting cooler, I'm worried that it stays so warm! lol I would prefer if they could sit at 74-75, but I guess I'll take 76-78 when it's the summer time and so hot outside and not as cool in the house as it is in the winter.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm not worried about it getting cooler, I'm worried that it stays so warm! lol I would prefer if they could sit at 74-75, but I guess I'll take 76-78 when it's the summer time and so hot outside and not as cool in the house as it is in the winter.
Have you tried a fan? My shrimp tank is set to 68 and my house temp is 76 to 78 during the summer. I got it controlled by a ink bird and it doesn't go above 69. Some cool nights it will go as low as 62.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried a fan? My shrimp tank is set to 68 and my house temp is 76 to 78 during the summer. I got it controlled by a ink bird and it doesn't go above 69. Some cool nights it will go as low as 62.
I was thinking about buying a small fan or two just to push the warm air due to the lights out from the shelving unit. I was leaning under one of them yesterday to reach behind it and started sweating immediately because it was so warm. Again, this morning I checked and all the tank temps were lower - last night before lights went out one of my tanks was a little above 81F. I like to use lids and I know they hold the warmth in as well, so I might see how removing the lids of some of them works and might go that route. I just hate constantly topping off a dozen or so tanks if I go that route lol (plus I just bought a second light for the Fluval 32.5 and that's the tank that keeps getting really warm).

I looked at those specialty cooling fans for tanks, but it seems like if you have enough air flow over the surface of the water you don't need one pointing directly down at it if it's powerful enough. I'll honestly probably end up going this route.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I was thinking about buying a small fan or two just to push the warm air due to the lights out from the shelving unit. I was leaning under one of them yesterday to reach behind it and started sweating immediately because it was so warm. Again, this morning I checked and all the tank temps were lower - last night before lights went out one of my tanks was a little above 81F. I like to use lids and I know they hold the warmth in as well, so I might see how removing the lids of some of them works and might go that route. I just hate constantly topping off a dozen or so tanks if I go that route lol (plus I just bought a second light for the Fluval 32.5 and that's the tank that keeps getting really warm).

I looked at those specialty cooling fans for tanks, but it seems like if you have enough air flow over the surface of the water you don't need one pointing directly down at it if it's powerful enough. I'll honestly probably end up going this route.
You don't need an aquarium specific cooling fan. Any fan aimed at the waters surface will decrease the temperature below ambient at the expense of increased evaporation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't need an aquarium specific cooling fan. Any fan aimed at the waters surface will decrease the temperature below ambient at the expense of increased evaporation.
I was going to just buy a cheap fan from Walmart that can blow on the two shelves - I don't like running no tops though, I'll see if the air circulation helps with the heat generated by the lights and trapped between the shelving.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I was going to just buy a cheap fan from Walmart that can blow on the two shelves - I don't like running no tops though, I'll see if the air circulation helps with the heat generated by the lights and trapped between the shelving.
If you want to cool the aquarium you can use a fan blowing on the waters surface. The evaporation is a primitive form of refrigeration. Blowing on the glass of the tank can not reduce temperature below room ambient.

Alternatively you can buy and install a chiller.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to cool the aquarium you can use a fan blowing on the waters surface. The evaporation is a primitive form of refrigeration. Blowing on the glass of the tank can not reduce temperature below room ambient.

Alternatively you can buy and install a chiller.
I'm not trying to blow on the glass to cool the water, I'm trying to move the air that has been warmed due to the aquarium lights since the warm air gets trapped beneath the shelf above and makes ambient temperature higher than it should. I figure it's worth a shot.

I came home today to see my 40 gallon leaking and was able to save all but 2 fish that have been accounted for - the rest I'm not so sure, there might be a third or fourth casualty somewhere, so right now this is the least of my problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts