The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to start a horror-themed tank within the next year and would like some suggestions as to fish and plants. I already know that I want to have some Blind Cave Tetras but I'm not sure about which fish would be good tank-mates and still go with my scary theme. As for plants, looking for something with darker, maybe reddish foliage? Also I'm sort of a beginner on a budget, so really finicky expensive fish are probably not the best idea. ^^;

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ghost Shrimp and mosses would look nice especially with some nice rock and drift wood. Looking forward to everyone else's additions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
yeah, they can grow up to a foot. a dark colored drift wood or stone could help. and moonlights could be awesome too.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I wanted to do this before with little stone gravestones (you can find them online), mosses, hairgrass for overgrown grass around the stones and just orange eyed black tiger shrimp and pumpkin orange shrimp (with black eyes). Well this was more for a year round halloween theme. lol.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The 'Dinosaur Bicher ' (Polypterus semegalensis) is a predator that can reach a foot long (and mine are still growing).
They dine on guppies (culls from my breeding efforts) as often as I put them in the tank, and I blame them for the disappearance of a few other fish, larger than Guppies.
NO WAY would they be OK in a 20 with small fish.
The largest snake/worm sort of fish that I would go with would be Kuhlie Loaches. There are dark ones (not quite black, but close) and a couple of species that are brown and gold.

Clear fish like Glass Cats or Pristella Tetras (a very easy fish) would look really good with moonlight.

If you are looking for fish with horror-names, how about Skunk Cories?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The new Glofish Tetras- or black skirt tetras.

Bleeding heart tetras/rummynoses for a bloodied look?

A good crowntail betta male..with reds or blacks - or even an all white one for a ghosty look

Firetrack? eels..not sure about their care, probably wont work but black+orange, great colour.

Definitely ghost shrimp... not sure if black tigers or oebt can be considered creepy
And not that it would be compatible either but do mutant headed goldfish/bubble/telescope eyes work too? LOL. They can be the frankensteins.

·
Registered
528 Posts
+1 on the bleeding heart and Rummynose tetras you could also look at black phantom tetras as well

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new Glofish Tetras- or black skirt tetras.

Bleeding heart tetras/rummynoses for a bloodied look?

A good crowntail betta male..with reds or blacks - or even an all white one for a ghosty look

Firetrack? eels..not sure about their care, probably wont work but black+orange, great colour.

Definitely ghost shrimp... not sure if black tigers or oebt can be considered creepy
And not that it would be compatible either but do mutant headed goldfish/bubble/telescope eyes work too? LOL. They can be the frankensteins.
Aren't those Glofish Tetras dyed? :/ And yeah, definitely going to get a Ghost Shrimp, an if I could find an all white Betta that would be awesome! If not I think a red one would look cool too. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
u got to have a skull in there, i got one in my shrimp tank he has a hole in it's head with some crypt lutea growing out of it lol and its not even suppose to be a creepy tank!:icon_smil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts