The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of making a 1 to 2 gallon planted vase with a steampunk theme. I could do anywhere a super low tech stillwater setup to a more traditional filter-heat-CO2 setup but what to put in there plant and animal wise is stumping me. I need plants that would look in a very vertical setting and critters that would be happy and look good in the small body of water. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you are willing to do a water change every other day, you can do a Betta or some shrimp. Snails too if you want. Most stem plants will grow straight, but I think in particular Bacopa monnieri would work out well. If you can get filtration, that would be ideal no matter what you plan to stock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have couple of shrimp in a 1 gallon filterless tank for about 2 months. I only top off water and only did 20 to 30% water change once. The shrimp look healthy and growing. Just make sure you have decent amount of plants and feed very sparingly.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Crypts and other slow growing plants work great for small vases. Some nice red ones with hammered-looking leaves with some smaller, more delicate bright green ones...Would look really nice. Or be a glutton for punishment like me and go a high tech setup with fast growing stems and have to trim constantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts