The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Any suggestions for fast-growing plants that suck up nutrients? My 75g has mostly slow-growing plants (Swords, Java fern, Java moss, anubias}. I'd like to add some hardy, fast-growing plants to see if they'd help with blue/green algae. Parameters are ph 6.8, temp 82°F. I'm running CO2 in that tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Floaters and stems do pretty well. If you consider floaters stay away from the regular duckweed (giant duckweed isn't too bad) unless you really like the look of it because it's very hard to get rid of. Fast growing easy stems like Bacopa caroliniana, some easier ludwigias and hygros. Good luck!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always toss in a ton of hornwort, cabomba, fast growing stems, etc. into a new tank for a few weeks. You can always remove them if they aren't part of your final vision. I'd also recommend adding floaters to really help you control algae and what not. Frogbit, red root floaters, salvinia, are all good. If you don't already have duckweed, stay away from it. But since my original floaters were infested with duckweed I've just accepted it as part of my tanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Guppy grass, water lettuce (if you have a slightly lower water levle or no lid), Pothos. In addition to the other good suggestions above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.