The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I was searching online for DIY cheap substrates, but to my despair I've only been flooded with redundant things I don't understand. Does anyone know a specific brand of soil that is cheap and will work well with a planted aquarium? Any! The brand and name of the soil/gravel is all I ask for.

EDIT: No more replies necessary. I found a thread that answered my question. Others could follow it here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/substrate/72382-mineralized-top-soil-substrate-pics-updated.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil is one you can find pretty easily. Chicken grit is crushed rock that can be fairily attractive. I've head two colors of grit. One was white and that stunk but the other is dark red/purple and it is quite calm. It's sorted coarse/med/fine so it's quite uniform. The best part is it's real rock so it holds plants down!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are your long term plans/goals?
I was planning for a tank with the "Natural" aquascaping style. I was thinking about planting mosses, driftwood, duckweeds, maybe some anumbas, grasses, and still researching. But personally I'd like substrate/gravel that would keep my options wide and avaliable in case I have a change of mind. :icon_lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.