The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the spec V for a year (original led lights) and a half and have had anubias and amazon swords. The swords used to have leaves that were 8-9 inches long and suddenly would not grow any leaf past 1.5 inch. Not sure what happened but I have not been able to fix it. So I'm looking for another type of plant for the background. I added a java fer recently and it looks ok but the new leaves are 3 inches long and it's getting bushy.
I'd like more of a curtain look - tall and wide but not deep.
here are my parameters:
  • betta fish & mystery snail in the tank
  • low tech
  • ph is ~7.9 to 8.1
  • kh is 3 to 5
  • gh is 6 to 9
  • temp is 78

At this time, I'm looking at more java ferns (not having found anything better yet) and egeria densa.
Any suggestion?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the spec V for a year (original led lights) and a half and have had anubias and amazon swords. The swords used to have leaves that were 8-9 inches long and suddenly would not grow any leaf past 1.5 inch. Not sure what happened but I have not been able to fix it. So I'm looking for another type of plant for the background. I added a java fer recently and it looks ok but the new leaves are 3 inches long and it's getting bushy.
I'd like more of a curtain look - tall and wide but not deep.
here are my parameters:
  • betta fish & mystery snail in the tank
  • low tech
  • ph is ~7.9 to 8.1
  • kh is 3 to 5
  • gh is 6 to 9
  • temp is 78

At this time, I'm looking at more java ferns (not having found anything better yet) and egeria densa.
Any suggestion?
I have had Bacopa in my Spec V and it grew well. Maybe dwarf Sagittaria would work for you. Are you using root tabs under your amazon swords? Maybe some crypts would work, they will spread but you could replant them where you want them.

·
Registered
9 fancy guppies, 2 mystery snails, 2 nerite snails, & 10 cherry barbs in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Anacharis is a good one, others could be dwarf hairgrass, dwarf sag. (as mentioned above by @SDrouillard). I have water wisteria as a background plant for mine, and it gets quite full!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts