The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions for a center piece fish(es) for a 90 gallon tank below. Looking to keep medium to low bio-load.

water parameters are
Temp: 82 F
pH: 6.6-6.4
kH: 2
GH: 8-10
TDS: 250-280 ppm

Current inhabitants are some marble hatchets, otos, pygmy cories and cherry shrimps. Would not mind the loss of a few shrimp, as I doubt they could wipe out the colony.

Some trimming will occur and jungle vals will be added in the background, as the spiral val and sag just were not getting tall enough.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
...Bichirs would devour every single fish and shrimp the OP currently has in the tank.
They are cool though.

OP, any particular reason you have the tank at 82*F?

Is that 6.4-6.6 pH tank water with co2?

@nel Now you got your ropefish as a sig pic!?!
You've convinced me to get ropefish again :D Back when I used to keep them, I didn't have planted just, just a bunch of decorations/caves, but your looks really well in the green foliage!
Think I should get a group of 7 or 8? Or is just 5 good?

·
Registered
73 Posts
...Bichirs would devour every single fish and shrimp the OP currently has in the tank.
They are cool though.

OP, any particular reason you have the tank at 82*F?

Is that 6.4-6.6 pH tank water with co2?

@nel Now you got your ropefish as a sig pic!?!
You've convinced me to get ropefish again :D Back when I used to keep them, I didn't have planted just, just a bunch of decorations/caves, but your looks really well in the green foliage!
Think I should get a group of 7 or 8? Or is just 5 good?
Yep and you still gotta love those dumb faces. Mine doesnt eat my cories, and strangely enough, leaves my fry alone.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ nel: I was originally thinking discus, but with the way plants are growing, a group of 5-7 won't really have swimming room. A pair of dwarf cichlids were originally in a plan.
@gregorylampron: As much as I like odd balls, I'm looking for showy fish with color and personality for this tank. So gonna have to say no to the ropefish.

@ WaterLife: was originally planning to stock with discus before the plants decided to take over, so the temperature was set at the lower range of their temps; the pH is 6.6 without 6.4 with CO2, though I suspect their is a reservoir of acids in the tank as it was closer to 7.0-7.2 when I started.

@ Clear Water: Looking for something colorful and showy mid-water fish at 3"-6", personality a bonus.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lately I've been obsessed with red cherry barbs...the really deep red ones provide a nice contrast with the greenscape and they "should" leave the shrimp alone since they only get to maybe 2 inches long (maybe not the babies tho). Get 6 or more and it'll look sick!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
3" - 6" fish could eat all the other livestock.

Shrimp are mostly safe with fish not much larger than about an inch long. Maybe a bit bigger. Maybe.

Most fish can eat a smaller fish that is 1/4 their own size, so a 6" fish can eat fish up to 1.5" pretty easily. Some predatory fish can eat prey up to half their length.

Since your current stocking is along the lines of small fish, I sure would not aim for a 3" - 6" specimen fish.

Dwarf Cichlids are about right.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Need suggestions for a center piece fish(es) for a 90 gallon tank below. Looking to keep medium to low bio-load.

water parameters are
Temp: 82 F
pH: 6.6-6.4
kH: 2
GH: 8-10
TDS: 250-280 ppm

Current inhabitants are some marble hatchets, otos, pygmy cories and cherry shrimps. Would not mind the loss of a few shrimp, as I doubt they could wipe out the colony.

Some trimming will occur and jungle vals will be added in the background, as the spiral val and sag just were not getting tall enough.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Why is your aquarium so hot? I believe most of the fish you have can live in cooler temperatures. At least lower that to 78 I think.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Otocinclus Catfish

Tropical Shrimp for Freshwater Aquariums: Red Cherry Shrimp

Anyway, my vote is a Gourami possible a pearl Gourami.

·
Registered
745 Posts
@ nel: I was originally thinking discus, but with the way plants are growing, a group of 5-7 won't really have swimming room. A pair of dwarf cichlids were originally in a plan.

@gregorylampron: As much as I like odd balls, I'm looking for showy fish with color and personality for this tank. So gonna have to say no to the ropefish.
For the personality ropefish are the best, but colouration isn't really they strong point (but for me there's no better fish). Discus aren't so good planted tank fish, high temp, many diseases... Dwarf cichlids are probably your best bet for a planted tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@kinzo: I thought about cherry barbs. May still be a consideration for the mid-water fish.
@Diana: I don't mind losing some shrimp, as I should have a dedicated shrimp tank set up by that time. From my understand, most dwarf cichlid species tend to be mid-bottom dwelling. Are there any that are more mid-water fish?
@nel: I don't doubt that maintaining discus in a planted tank would have been a serious balancing act. Though it would have been one that I would have gladly attempted.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Check out Pearl Gourami. A group of 5 to 7 for your tank size.
A couple of Blood Parrots, if you can find good color and like the look, will be plenty entertaining.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Silver Dollar Fish. Nevermind...I see now they will eat plants. Still, a lovely fish for very large aquariums. Gets to 6 inches in a short time. But still, I think a big silver fish looks good in a tank. Gouramis, Barbs - tinfoil and rosey will uproot and munch on plants too.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I also think the pearls are a good size not to look lost in the tank.
Maybe with some kribensis on the bottom... They are quite shy, but will love the tank, they also get to a decent size for a dwarf.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@OVT: No to blood parrots ever since I found how they were created, and the issues the fish face. Will likely consider gouramis as well.
@AWolf: Only if I can train the silver dollars to help with the weekly plant trimming. :)
@Nordic: I've kept kribensis in the past, and the only thing I remembered was that they were a pretty aggressive fish, especially when spawning. I remember them scaring all the angels in a corner and reproducing like mad.

At this point, I think I'm going to see if there are any South American dwarf cichlids that catch my eye, and if I can source them. I'm thinking possible some German rams or apistogramma. I'll keeping gouramis as a back up option, possibly pygmy or croaking gourami.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the gouramis. Many to choose from in so many colors. They get decent sized too. I have 6 cherry barbs in my tank right now, even the females get an impressive gold color once they get out of those overcrowded fish store tanks. You could have a VERY impressive hoard of them, and best part is they're super hardy. Seriously. Mine survived ick AND 2 moves.

Tl;Dr
Gourami and cherry barbs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.