The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m looking for a canister filter that won’t blow a betta around the tank but thatcan also pump to a 3 foot height. Any suggestions?

thank you for any help,

Keith

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always lean towards Oase since the canister filter comes with a heater... one less thing in the tank.. they do make a small version with heater and have control nobs to manage pressure

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have an oase 100 thermo on my 8.6 gallon tank. Its too much flow for a betta as is, but you can install a ball valve in the return line and turn that flow down to an acceptable level. I have no trouble recommending this filter despite the fact that its not as nice as the larger oase filters. Its still rock solid and very quiet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that the 100 has an optional internal heater - do you know i the 60 does? Also - how low can I reduce the flow?

thank you!

Keith

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I see that the 100 has an optional internal heater - do you know i the 60 does? Also - how low can I reduce the flow?

thank you!

Keith
It does not. The thermo line (different from the non thermo line despite the same numbers) starts at 100. You can turn down the flow as much as you want if you install your own ball valve in the return line. The impeller is driven by magnetism not by gears. So it doesn't matter what level of flow you turn it down. I have run my 100 low enough to keep a betta in my 8.6 gallon tank before.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts