The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion, advise & comment greatly appreciated.

Just added 2x2 Flame moss & 4tem of Red Ludwigia (not pictured). I will probably be getting rid of most of the Amazon Sword. Maybe Swap N Shop:biggrin: . Thanks in advance to all input.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
basically you are where everyone goes when making the transition from low light to high tech, so get rid of ALL the swords (maybe the pet shop will take them for in house credit) and start collecting plant samples from members here on PTF. You might want to ditch the biowheel as that keeps out-gassing your Co2. Your XP3 can handle a 55gal by itself as long as you don't overfeed your tank. good luck :proud:

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you're getting rid of the Amazon Sword , that doesn't leave much. You could do anything with it. You might try looking on the AGA contest site: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi and find scapes that you like to help plan yours.

Just a thought, be careful about not kicking up the nitrates when you pull up all that Amazon Sword.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basically you are where everyone goes when making the transition from low light to high tech, so get rid of ALL the swords (maybe the pet shop will take them for in house credit) and start collecting plant samples from members here on PTF. You might want to ditch the biowheel as that keeps out-gassing your Co2. Your XP3 can handle a 55gal by itself as long as you don't overfeed your tank. good luck :proud:
I'm not planning to get rid of ALL the Amazons. And if you don't mind me asking, why would I get rid of ALL? Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I personally don't think you should get rid of all. They're beautiful in contrast with the color of the parrot fish.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally don't think you should get rid of all. They're beautiful in contrast with the color of the parrot fish.
Thanks, KDahlin. Im keeping probaby 3 of them. And all of the Amazon came from only 1 Mother Plant:hihi:.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm not sure you appreciate how large an Amazon sword can get.

A 55 has precious little depth (only 12"), most of which will be consumed by your forest of swordplants.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the process of eliminating swords as well. They are great to start with but they will outgrow your tank. I just sold my amazon sword that was over 2 feet tall and I still have my ruffled sword that its now about 3 feet tall. My 45g tank is 24" high and all the flower stems are coming out of the tank and leaves are floating on top blocking light. I want more exotic plants plus nice foreground cover that I'm having hard time establishing due to blocked light. What you do is totaly up to you of course but be aware that they grow extremely large.

My tank 45g tall
http://home.comcast.net/~marek313/index.htm

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have an amazon sword that has been in my 55g for about a year now and it is growing out of the top of the tank. It has leaves on it that are larger than my hands. I end up having to cut a few off here and there because they block alot of light and it steady puts more new leaves out. I couldn't imagine more than two of these plants full grown in a 55g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.