The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me, of course. Lol. I've already got my hands full with four tanks. This is for my cousin who is seven. Or rather, his dad who is thirty. My cousin already has a betta and I'm going to help him improve its tank when I go down to see him, but his parents had mentioned that they wouldn't mind a bigger tank.

There is only one rule: low maintenance.

I consider my tanks low maintenance, but I have decently planted and stocked tanks that have been set up for a while (my 29 gallon for five years now).

Recommendations for simple, easy to care for tanks for beginner aquarists? I know the bigger the tank the more leeway you have for slipping up concerning water parameters. Lord, I wish all my tanks were bigger. The three gallon is a royal pain.

Suggested easy going tolerant plants? Personally I am in love with Anubias varieties. They are hardy with my numbskullness. I know Java moss is a good nitrate sucker as are floaters.

Tough fish? Personally, my favorites are guppies, platies, and bettas. And shrimp. But those are a little more sensitive to water swings.

Any good kits you can buy? I know usually the lighting that comes with kits is shoddy, as are the filters occasionally. But sometimes you hit it rich.

Any ideas, suggestions, or personal experiences with starting out in this hobby would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would stick to something 2' or under... easier for a kid to wash and move etc... You don't need a million $ worth of plants to fill it either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would stick to something 2' or under... easier for a kid to wash and move etc... You don't need a million $ worth of plants to fill it either.
Yeah, I totally agree. I wonder how a 20 gal three quarters full with lucky bamboo sticking up in it would fair? Kind of like a riparium? IME, lucky bamboo has always been pretty hardy and pretty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts