The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with this tank i am focusing on my geo red heads and thus its not densely planted at all, lots of open sand for them to sift. as substrate i am just using pool filter sand and the only other plants are all anubias, ferns, and some moss. i'm not fertalizing really at all right now. i would like at have some plants floating up top to help filter the light a bit and make it feel more natural for them what not. i have worked hard to rid myself of duckweed in this tank because its too messy so i'm not into that. any suggestions for plants that are either floating or look pretty good floating that dont get too messy (ex. drop leaves easily) that i might not have thought of?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Frog bit, dwarf water lettuce, najas (guppy grass), pennywort, red root floaters, there are quite a few salvinia types that are lovely too.

Or get a bit of each and see which takes to your conditions best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses all good suggestions. i've thought about amazon frogbit or something along those lines, thing is i have installed a background with all of my equiptment behind it and long story short there are little vent/inflow slits at top and i dont want to clog them and i'm worried that a lot of these the normal floating plants might get sucked against them and clog it up. they might be fine but i just dont know.

does anyone have experience with hydrocotle floating? i could probably tie/wrap that around the top of some wood in the tank to keep it relatively in one place and it still sort of has the lillypad look

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
thanks for the responses all good suggestions. i've thought about amazon frogbit or something along those lines, thing is i have installed a background with all of my equiptment behind it and long story short there are little vent/inflow slits at top and i dont want to clog them and i'm worried that a lot of these the normal floating plants might get sucked against them and clog it up. they might be fine but i just dont know.

does anyone have experience with hydrocotle floating? i could probably tie/wrap that around the top of some wood in the tank to keep it relatively in one place and it still sort of has the lillypad look
I use regular pennywort in several of my tanks as a floater, most often clipped to the side of the tank (suction cup, feeder clip, etc) in some fashion so it stays put. It grows well, but not anywhere near as prolifically as more traditional floaters, under a variety of light conditions and looks quite nice with each node putting out it's own roots.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've used salvinia, has nice short roots so it doesn't get in the way of looking at the tank.

You could try floating some airline on the water to keep the floaters from clogging your inflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts