The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had problems in the past keeping shrimp alive, but after switching to RO water I pride myself with only 2 deaths of adult shrimp over the course of 5 months. I have been keeping only malawa shrimp until late March when I got Blue velvet shrimp. Everything has been going great and no deaths in the last two months. Yesterday I even found a berried BV! However, right after finding the berried BV, I found a dead one. I did not think much of it and just thought that maybe it was a weak shrimp or whatever. Today I found another BV sitting on a sponge prefilter just kind of twitching. Soon after I found it, a snail tried eating it and the other shrimp started showing interest in it.

2 shrimp deaths over the course of 2 days is really freaking me out, especially since it is 2 blue velvets. What could be causing this? They both seemed kind of milky colored, but malawa shrimp look like that when they die too? The white color seems to be primarily in the "head" area behind the eyes.

Best pictures I could get:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
The only thing that looks on the high side for me is the ph.

The GH should be fine as far as molting.

What's the temp of water?

There is the scattershot theory that some shrimp are susceptible to bacteria that isn't there's, but unconvinced that is what is happening here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to my cheap digital thermometer the temperature is 75F. I will completely remove the heater now and turn it down when I use it again. Is that a high temperature? From what I have read, most people suggest under 23C (73.4F).

Should I use less remineralizer as well? maybe 170 TDS? With the remineralizer at 190 TDS the PH is 7.8, the GH is 6-7 and the KH is 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.