The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I redid my whole tank roughly a month or two ago. dosing, co2, water changes has not changed. In the past week i've been growing bba all over the place. Why is that?

dirty diffusor? I know i havent cleaned it in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Plants also take awhile to start growing after being disturbed. If you ripped out a lot of plants and replanted them you may have had a period where plants were not growing as fast, and hence had excess nutrients.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Plants also take awhile to start growing after being disturbed. If you ripped out a lot of plants and replanted them you may have had a period where plants were not growing as fast, and hence had excess nutrients.
I have excess nutrients and no BBA, that does not explain why BBA is present.
Rate of growth also does not play any direct role, the residual ppm's are still high, whether the plants are growing fast, taking them up etc, the actual levels are high and entirely available to algae or every sort.

Yet no algae.......

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I have excess nutrients and no BBA, that does not explain why BBA is present.

So then why might it be present in his case?

I have a little BBA in my 90 on the opposite end of the CO2 reactor's return. Mainly on the lower portions of some stems that get trimmed often but not that low. I'm guessing CO2 is continually low in that area.

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Exposed to flow or lack of?

SteveU

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
So then why might it be present in his case?

I have a little BBA in my 90 on the opposite end of the CO2 reactor's return. Mainly on the lower portions of some stems that get trimmed often but not that low. I'm guessing CO2 is continually low in that area.

SteveU
That would be reasonable.
Add more CO2, add better current to that region and see.

It takes a little time delay for good CO2 to correct BBA and to induce it, seems you need at least 2-3 weeks of poor cO2 to induce it.

I'm in no rush to get rid of it when I louse up the CO2, I might add Excel and very slowly adjust the CO2 progressively up, then watch for a few days, but I never crank the CO2 up and then wander off, not paying attention to the aquarium and livestock importantly.

With good current and good surface movement I degas more, but add more O2...so the fish are less stressed. I simply turn the CO2 up a bit more to compensate, not hard there.

Trim little by little, no more BBA.
You can also reduce the light some, this reduces the CO2 demand, thereby making it easier to manage the CO2 to a non limiting level for plants.

So light and CO2, rather than nutrients are highly effective management tools, light is also far more stable than nutrients/CO2.

So adding less light makes things easier.
If you deal with a 1600 Gal tank full of fish that are breeding:

Then you want easier management and no algae blooms.'

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cranked up the co2. All plants are pearling especially the ones closer to the surface. BBA is even pearling or so it seems because i see bubbles around bba. The plants lower to the gravel isn't pearling as much. Drop check is turns yellow by the 4-5th hour of my 8 hour photo period.

what now?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Newbie question: BBA is that hair-like very dark algae that grows on the leaves? One of the plants I got as a gift had it and now it´s spreading to my other plants. It´s impossible to scrub off the leaves (it´s in an anubias), however I´ve noticed that the plant keeps growing fine and putting new leaves, so it doesn´t seem that affected.

Can it kill the plants? From the previous posts I understand I should pump up the Co2, but is that itself going to get rid of it?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
What it will do if left unchecked is cover so much of the plant that it cannot efficiently photosynthesize and will eventually shut down. Also, if you did not have conditions in your tank that were conducive to bba growth then it would have eventually died after puting that plant in it.

I had someone send me some plants that had hair algae all over it but was not too worried about putting it in my tank because the conditions weren't good in my tank for the algae. I'm not condoning putting algae ridden plants in our tanks, cleaning and perhaps a dip will certainly be beneficial but you ge the point.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks, what do you mean by a "dip"? I certainly like the plant that brought the algae to the tank and don´t want to loose it. Can I get rid of it by just pumping more co2?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
You can dip the plants in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide/bleach. I have never done this but is you search im sure youll find the ratios. Do you have excel? I have found excellent results just putting some of that in a syringe, dosing directly to the effected area and turning off my filter for an hour. By the next day it is usually red/pink then dies.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
You can dip the plants in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide/bleach. I have never done this but is you search im sure youll find the ratios. Do you have excel? I have found excellent results just putting some of that in a syringe, dosing directly to the effected area and turning off my filter for an hour. By the next day it is usually red/pink then dies.

+1 on directly injecting excel onto the affected area! :proud: Do a string seach on excel as some plants don't like large doses but most are not effected. I've used it for staghorn and BBA issues in the past to good result.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have also used H2O2 directly on the BBA to kill it. 3mL/gallon is a safe measure to use. Although when I used a full 3mL/gallon the fish started showing stress but I didn't lose any.

And I do not know if more CO2 will get rid of it, it will certainly help keep more from growing but I do not know if it kills it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks. I haven´t been able to find seachem excel in Mexico. The most affected plant is a large anubias (I think, actually I´m not sure what plant it is) whose roots are attached to a driftwood, so I can actually remove the plant with the driftwood and treat it separately. I´ll do a search in the site for the mix of peroxide and give the poor plant a dip.

I increased a bit the co2 output to 4 bps, only problem is that the bubbles coming out of the diffuser are larger, but the plant itself is actually bubbling more so it´s still being dissolved

1 - 17 of 17 Posts