The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some suction cups on a powerhead that just don't want to stick to the aquarium glass for more than a day. Every day I am sticking the powerhead back on to the glass because at least 1 or 2 of the 3 suction cups give way.

Anything I can try besides buying new suction cups?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
silicone grease != Silicone. the grease is a lubricant and stays more like the consisetency or vaseline, the other is an adhesive and hardens.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Be careful boiling them. You risk deforming them

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You might try cleaning the glass and suction cups. It's worked for me many times. Never heard of boiling to soften them. I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
silicone grease != Silicone. the grease is a lubricant and stays more like the consisetency or vaseline, the other is an adhesive and hardens.
That's what I thought. I'm just not sure if silicone grease is aquarium safe though...

Be careful boiling them. You risk deforming them

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah... that's what I'm worried about

magnets. Zoo Med mag clips or make your own.
This has crossed my mind as well if other options don't work. That's how my Koralia Nano circulation pump is held in my saltwater tank.

You might try cleaning the glass and suction cups. It's worked for me many times. Never heard of boiling to soften them. I'll have to try that.
I've tried cleaning the glass but still no luck. I never cleaned the suction cups though. I'll give this a shot too.

dip into boiling water for a min or so...
OK... I don't think a minute or 2 will harm them. Thanks for the advice.

Very good suggestions here. I'll try a good majority of these and see what works. Thanks all!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Silicone grease is recommended by all canister filter manufacturers to lubricate the O-rings. Petroleum jelly can break down the rubber.

I've been using it in my tanks for over 10 years now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts