The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

When I gt my red cherry shrimp, I already had a couple of angelfish, one sunset platy, one golden molly and 2 zebra danios in the tank. I however wanted the shrimp so badly that I decided to risk it anyway. However as soon as i introduced the shrimp into the tank, the angelfish went after them. So i took them out and placed them in a transparent plastic box and let the box float on top of the tank water. The angelfish tried to take regular nips at the box for the next 24 hours and soon got tired of it! (These shrimp are sour!-they thought) and decided to leave them alone. That's when I released the shrimp into the tank. I did so at night so in the morning all fish were accustomed to having each other around. The shrimp stayed hidden for a week or two and then slowly became bolder. Now they are not shy and pretty much at ease with the bigger fish. And the angelfish also just leave them alone!

That's one experiment in conditioning 'am proud of!:laugh2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
To make you feel better I actually have Red Cherry Shrimps in my Angelfish tank. They'll be fine if they have lots of hiding places. Mine make their homes between the roots of my Philodendrons and Peace Lilies or in my Hyrophilas where no fish can reach except fries. They do come out at night which baffles me - are they nocturnal or are they plain smart? Lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanka Jaymyess! I did feel better...My shrimp recently gave birth,...so now am looking forward to them growing upto an adult size so I can house them in the tank...your shrimp are not nocturnal as far as i know...mine did the same thing for the first 2-3weeks...i would find them swimming about freely in the night time while they remained hidden all day...I have put in a small clay pot covered with moss and they used to sit inside..now they are fine...social and scavenging during the day!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually, Id be more worried about the molly than the angels. Leave your filter intake with a normal end on it. baby shrimp can hide in the filter and grow (this also prolongs time between needing to change filter). Just make sure to dump them back in the tank when you clean your filter. They don't do well in clean filters - not enough food. I have successfully had them with angels, they are angels compared to mollies. Mollies are constant breeding livebearers. They are eating breeding machines. The one I had wiped out an entire tank of RCS. Granted wasn't that heavily planted. The thing hunted all day long.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
My colony of RCS made it through a number of tank iterations. Congo tetras, Angelfish, Rams (Bolivian and German), Rainbows, even Synodontis cats. Now they are in my 75 gallon tanganyikan tank with Multi's, Calvus, and Julidochromis. As long as the colony is a decent size and good amounts of wood, rocks, and plants the RCS will do just fine.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Mollies are the devil's spawn of aquarium life.
All the other evil fish at least have well known reputations.
If mollies don't get sick and take your whole tank with, they are busy pestering the joy out of anything they think might be weaker than them. I've seen them nearly kill an angelfish.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have Red Cherries in my 92g with Congo Tetras, and eventually there will be 6-7 discus or so. It's really heavily planted and like another poster above, I also have a pothos plants floating near the top. The RCS like to hideout in the roots of the pothos or stay in the densely plated areas near the bottom of the tank. Before I added the pothos and the rest of the plants, the congos did try and search them out. Since then, they've left them alone.

I intend to add some rock to increase the amount of hiding spaces for them, and am starting a small shrimp tank to always have some on hand. I think it's definitely a risk, and if you don't have plants or plenty of hiding spaces it's almost cruel. But if you do, it can work just fine for the most part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey nordic and student climber,

You were right about the molly.
She jumped into the breeder box one morning and ate up 10 of the shrimp babies!!
Then I removed her but i also moved the babies to a separate nano tank....now i have only 14 surviving babies...otherwise they were doing so well

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Hahaha, I just found a red cherry shrimp in my cory tank. Little bugger is cleaning the outside of the breeding net the fry is kept it.
I would not have thought it possible, but it travelled from the store in little fish bag with no water. I know the tanks and stock in that shop as well as my own tanks so there was no need for quarantine.

I'll take it back tomorrow though, they are quite expensive (by my standards)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Was going to try cabomba, Java moss, and dwarf hair grass. Any reason these would not be a good idea?
Dwarf hairgrass in particular is good. My larger fish can hover down into it, but it's too thick and stiff to swim through. I'm not sure cabomba would provide enough cover. Something with larger, wider leaves like hydrocotyle (also low growing) would be better. Java moss can be okay, depending on how unruly you let it get.

RE: OP
Thanks for the post - interesting idea to acclimate inhabitants, not just for water parameters, but socially as well! Side note: have you considered buying more danios? They are a schooling fish.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
All those plants would be good. Cabomba can be great shelter if planted densely enough. My shrimp also love Belem hairgrass in particular with its downward curving leaves.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My colony of RCS made it through a number of tank iterations. Congo tetras, Angelfish, Rams (Bolivian and German), Rainbows, even Synodontis cats. Now they are in my 75 gallon tanganyikan tank with Multi's, Calvus, and Julidochromis. As long as the colony is a decent size and good amounts of wood, rocks, and plants the RCS will do just fine.
Do Synodontis eat shrimps?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.