The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Was almost too easy.

One hears a lot of old wife's tales about them being sterile, but these fry are here less than 48 hours after putting my little egg trap in.
It was more of a test. I'll let them build condition up again a little then turn the whole tank into a breeder before moving the parents out again.
The parents aren't very big yet. Think I will add some yellow ones too to see what mixes I could get.

I put about 5 into some green water... buggers are so small I can't find em but I know they are in there. The rest are in a breeding net in the birth tank.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

I have a few minutes so I thought I'd share my method for getting a few fry.
Basically you need a way of keeping fish and eggs apart. A very shallow bit of water above the net reduces the time they can get to the eggs. Some clumps of fine leaved plants or java moss, I even used 3 clumps of plastic breeding grass in the middle for them to spawn against.

To get them to breed, condition them until the females are nice and fat.
Adjust timing of lights to come on just a few minutes after daylight reaches the room, so there is a dusk period, or adjust your fancy 24/7 lighting to immitate. Dark period should be around 10 hours and 14 light. They breed as the first light starts, and sometimes again when the lights come on. Fry started hatching about 24 hours later. I suspect siphoning the gravel will catch a few more.

Heck the golden neon ones I just put in with the pinks, went right to spawning, and the pink ones joined them again.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You do know that the intentional breeding of glofish is a copyright violation. Or maybe you don't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I don't know if they intended to breed or nobody told them about the birds and the bees. Naughty fish!!!
Seems like this falls into the breeding for educational purposes and no intent to sell for profit. Should be a-ok!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
It seems to break their license policy https://www.glofish.com/our-company/license-notice/

"4. Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited."

Your post sure reads like you are intentionally breeding them. If it were me, I would not openly post about this on a free access forum. If you catch someone having a bad day, who knows....

Ben

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, good for them, if someone wants to sue a pensioner in Africa for breeding 15 glofish, they must be having a horrible day.
Now if someone had a patent on platies, I'd be in deep shift.
It also says on the site that the fish are sterile... seems like they want the cake and want to eat it.

P.S. for educational purpose, the exact method will work with ordinary zebra danio. I'm just playing with hybrids a little, I got the fish as a gift from a fish farm.

I'd like to see what colour combo's I can pull off. Saw some interesting things on the web, but never sure if they are photoshops.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I didn't read anything on the site that says there sterile. As far as bothering a fella on a pension in Africa, it my understanding that a company has to take action against anyone they know is violating a copyright right or patent otherwise they forfeit the right to pursue other violations. That's why company's like MacDonald's will sue the small mom and pop burger shop who really is no threat to them. That's what I've read anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is still a loose loose situation for them, They can sue until they are purple, I have nothing to give them.

Also doubt they have much along the line of patenting or copyrights over here. I appreciate the concern however.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Lol, good for them, if someone wants to sue a pensioner in Africa for breeding 15 glofish, they must be having a horrible day.
In this day and age, they don't even have to be having a bad day!
Patent trolls all over the interwebs!:frown2:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to do a bit of electronic design. The basic rule of thumb is it is hardly worth copyrighting anything (you design), as the cost and time involved in a copyright suit is in the hundreds of thousands dollar range.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
From my understanding (migh be wrong) they'd have to have a patent in Africa to take action in this case. If the patent is only in the US, they can't do anything about it in other countries.
I think its ridiculous that someone wants to sue a personal for keeping a pet and letting it do what comes naturally (eat, sleep, reproduce), its not intent to sell, just letting them be. If they (patent owners) wanted to prevent the possibility of breeding I'm sure there are plenty of nasty chemicals they could use to make a fish sterile (and probably cause some other issues) to negate the whole argument.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From my understanding (migh be wrong) they'd have to have a patent in Africa to take action in this case. If the patent is only in the US, they can't do anything about it in other countries.
I think its ridiculous that someone wants to sue a personal for keeping a pet and letting it do what comes naturally (eat, sleep, reproduce), its not intent to sell, just letting them be. If they (patent owners) wanted to prevent the possibility of breeding I'm sure there are plenty of nasty chemicals they could use to make a fish sterile (and probably cause some other issues) to negate the whole argument.

I completely agree. The site says united states patent, they would need to apply for each country patent which isnt the case here. The link only says united states and no other country. I bet you china would have a lot of law suits if one patent applies to all country.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

They sure seem to vary in time it takes to hatch and become free swimming. Noticed quite a few smaller new fry yesterday, even though the parents have been returned to community tank several days ago.
This pic is one of the first babies... look, it is turning pink already.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, they look like fish now!
Any plans for them once they reach juvenile size?

I have an unused 55 gal tank they can go in to. I need to do some culling tomorrow though as there are about 3 young ones with deformities.

They are really mean for their size, you should see some of the fights. But I'm a very proud dad, some even have long fins.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.