The Planted Tank Forum banner

Subwassertang Question

2762 3
This might be a dumb question but....

What should I attach it to and how should I attach it? I tried tying it to some rocks with fishing line but it just kinda all melted free of it and began floating around my tank.

Any recommendations as to how I can get this stuff to settle down?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Subwassertang is one of the toughest mosses/liverworts to attach. Its brittle so tying it loosely with cotton thread works good. Even then it doesnt "Attach" real well. It usually gets bushy, shades the bottom, the bottom does off, and the rest hovers around the driftwood. It likes really soft driftwood that plecos would make short work of. Tying loosely seems to be the best bet. If you tie it too tight it crunches the plant and it starts to die right where you want it to attach. Fortunately its not a real finicky grower so you have several tries at it. Youll also get better at it the more times you do it. Superglue doesnt work well because you have to use ALOT of glue, and it doesnt last long before it floats up. Mesh and netting are difficult to use too because it has a hard time growing through it and it compresses it/shades it too much.

·
Registered
20g long
47 Posts
I used a pretty good amount of string to tie mine down to a rock, and it's been growing nicely and seems to be attached fairly well. I think you just have to make sure the pieces are flat against the rock and your string/fishing line is wrapped over it and not around, which can be sort of hard to tell sometimes. I also had some tied to a piece of driftwood, but the fish decided to pick at that one until it all fell apart. I thought they ate it, actually, but just yesterday I did a big tank rescape and found clumps stuck all over behind other plants and rocks, firmly attached to bits of gravel. I think if you can get it somewhere that it won't move around a bunch, it will attach to just about anything it can get a grip on eventually. Mine took a few months, but they don't seem to want to let go, now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.