The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Substrate isn't deep enough or compact enough to form anaerobic pockets
Ya, the fluval stuff is light. All my trimmings that I tried to plant, I have rocks against them to keep them in place. Ones with big roots take pretty good though, but it doesn't compact down much, thats for sure. Not like my eco-complete in my cherry tank.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Shrimp crap all the time. Its just that some substrates dont show it very much. If you use a sand substrate, you'd see it. I doubt snails eat shrimp crap. Even if thay did, the snails would have to crap some of it back out too. It's not like snails dont crap.

Those specialized shrimp substrates are small but not as small as sand substrates. There is not much risk of developing anarobic pockets unless you pile it absurdly thick.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't have 4 inches, you'll never have a problem.
Shrimp crap all the time. Its just that some substrates dont show it very much. If you use a sand substrate, you'd see it. I doubt snails eat shrimp crap. Even if thay did, the snails would have to crap some of it back out too. It's not like snails dont crap.

Those specialized shrimp substrates are small but not as small as sand substrates. There is not much risk of developing anarobic pockets unless you pile it absurdly thick.
I wish I had known this a long time ago. I would have never added mts to my tanks to keep the substrate turned. I can't even imagine have my substrate that thick in the first place. lol I don't mind the snails in my big tank, but I hate the ones in my 10 gallon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.