The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,all member.. I'm new at this forum and from NY. try to start CRS with moss plant. my CRS tank was 36"x12"x16" 30 gallon. could not make decission my self to go which kind substrate.:confused1: amazonia substrate cost $44 ship and need more time cycling! seachem (flourite) contain copper 17 as i know not good.:( can any one please advise? i do a lot reading on here on there but really confused.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If all you plan on growing is moss, you definitely don't need to spend money on Aquasoil, first of all. That will be more trouble than it's worth for you. As far as the Fluorite, I could've sworn other people have used it in their shrimp tanks before, but since I have no personal experience I can't really comment. I've always safely used Eco-complete in any shrimp tanks I've had. Just amanos and RCS, though.

You can also use regular aquarium gravel, since you only plan on growing moss. But paying a little extra for some Eco-complete (or something similar) would allow you the possibility of growing more and better plants as time went on.

You could also use pool filter sand. Just don't put a real thick layer of it.

:)

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
If the water your planning on putting in the tank comes from a hard water source Aquasoil is probably the only choice for you. Otherwise the conditions will not be good for the shrimp and you will have wasted allot of money. When it comes to CRS tanks/setups there is no room to take the cheap route, this will ALWAYS end up costing more. CRS require specific water parameters, there is no way around this.

Now if your water is soft from the tap the choices are preety much endless and there is no need for the aquasoil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've heard that New York has some pretty soft water so I'm not sure. You should test your tap water first and if the ph is between 6.4 and 6.8 then it should be good to go. However if you have harder water then use the Amazonia. If you water is good then any inert substrate should be fine to breed CRS.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
We are discussing CRS, they have a very strict set of water parameters that cannot be deviated from to survive/breed.

I've got Flourite as my primary substrate in one of my tanks with Amano and RCS and they don't seems affected by it at all. No fatalities.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have used Eco-Complete, Flourite, Amazonia, and Pool Filter Sand and they were fine with CRS.

However, Eco-Complete provides a buffer for softer water.

Get the Amazonia because after staring at your tank for hours, you will decide to get more diverse plants.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
You guys have pretty soft water from the tap in California, dont you?

I have used Eco-Complete, Flourite, Amazonia, and Pool Filter Sand and they were fine with CRS.

However, Eco-Complete provides a buffer for softer water.

Get the Amazonia because after staring at your tank for hours, you will decide to get more diverse plants.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some say have to replace amazonia after 2 year!! how long did eco complete last??
also flourite have high copper at 17? don't high copper kill shrimp?
but i have decide to go with eco complete to try.

·
Registered
342 Posts
FYI, I use ADA soils for CRS, Eco Complete, Flurite for RCS and Amano. I don't see any problem so far.
NYC water is about 7.0 ph
I use tap water only
CRS is very sensitive for water, make sure when you do WC, your water parameter and temp match between tap and tank water.
Not OD fert, I lost all CRS because of this.

Good Luck for your CRS tank :red_mouth

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I didnt think that eco complete lowered the ph to where it would be compatible with the CRS. But I see now. You use seachems buffer to lower the ph to a good level for them.

Thats the nice thing about the AS is all in there, no need to add additional buffering agents.

No, quite the opposite.

Our water is extremely hard so I have to use a liquid buffer from SeaChem.

Cheers,
Justin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.