The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since it looks like I am going to tear down my 40g breeder to give the Eco-Complete and big cleaning to fight some nasty BBA that has decided to start growing in it, I have decided to go ahead and redo the tank completely. I will be adding a corner Mattenfilter to one end (Possibly both) and have also decided to make a new substrate underlayer for better root feeding and just to see how it works for me. Any suggestions will be much appritiated as I make my decisions.

I run 4xT5HO 39w for lighting on this tank and have pressurized Co2 as well.

My questions basically are: What percentages would be suggested for each part of the following and is there anything I am missing out?
  • Earthworm castings. (From some research it looks like I may need to boil these first.. Correct?)
  • Sphagnum peat moss.
  • Red Clay.
  • Dolomite.
  • I have a full range of dry ferts on hand as well should any be suggested.
Thanks in advance!
-Cory

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links and I will be looking over the info in them as I get time. Broke the tank about 90% of the way down yesterday and will slowly be working on prepping the new underlayer over the next week or so. Work should be slow the week after Xmas and that is when I will be trying to complete my project.

-Cory

1 - 3 of 3 Posts