The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
When building up substrate using plastic strips to stop a landslide effect seems the way to go. I see that TGM sell them but p&p seems to be a bit high

Does anyone know anywhere else that sells these or I thought maybe buying a load of cheap plastic rulers and cutting them up to use ... Or would these leach toxins into the water over time

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Unless you are doing a really small tank, I imagine that will get fairly expensive.

I'd suggest just strolling through the different sections of a hardware store, and seeing if there is any sort of raw/bulk plastic items that would work for you.

All I can think of off the top of my head that might work are plastic angle pieces used to protect the corners of drywall. You could either use the angle to help attach it to the glass, or probably split the piece lenghtwise into two flats.

Then again, if you are at a hardware store, you could probably just buy their thinnest piece of acrylic or whatever, and try and score and snap that into strips (maybe the place will cut some for you?)

·
Registered
667 Posts
The stuff TGM sells sure looks like strips of Coroplast . Before I retired , I had occasion to order some for work , it was pretty cheap if I remember correctly . You can cut it with a sharp utility knife or a fine tooth saw . We got 2x4 foot sheets which , I suspect , is way overkill for your purposes . Anyway, check Amazon or Ebay for smaller pieces . Worth a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.