The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who have seen or worked with 'commercial' (from companies like ADA or TGM) vertical substrate supports - what properties do these have? Are they completely stiff or do they have some flex?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maybe not what you are looking for but I used PVC screen for the back to support a rock wall. Similar to that of actual brick laying. Siliconed the PVC screen directly to the glass then the rocks to the screen. For structure I used the plastic fluorescent light scatters you see on the big 4 bulb units on the ceilings. Cut to shape, make cubes by using zipties to hold together. I'm cheap and find the least expensive way to do things as I can.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The stuff you see in the TGM videos is, or appears to be , ' Coroplast ' .Before I retired we had a big stack of the stuff that was bought for some unknown reason years back and I had a chance to work with it a bit . The best analogy I can give is to say that it's "plastic corrugated cardboard" . Like the cardboard it's somewhat flexible in one direction but very rigid in the other . You really can't get a nice smooth curve with it unless you cut the outside sheet on one side . Cuts with a really sharp utility knife/box cutter/X Acto , band saw or table saw with a fine tooth plywood
or metal cutting blade . It'll glue pretty well with a hot glue gun , at least well enough to hold back substrate , not enough to withstand any great loading , though . Plastic cement , like IPS Weldon might be better , but I've never tried it . Stuff's real cheap on Ebay . Maybe a craft store like Michael's might have it , too

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post Dennis; beautiful pictures! I actually plan to use vertical supports along with the flow cells. The cells will build height while the vertical supports help prevent slippage. Do you put anything in the flow cells like substrate or crushed rock?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks for the post Dennis; beautiful pictures! I actually plan to use vertical supports along with the flow cells. The cells will build height while the vertical supports help prevent slippage. Do you put anything in the flow cells like substrate or crushed rock?
Thanks, I fill them with substrate.. I use stones at the borders sometimes but the cells hold the substrate quite well. The troublesome part is probably cutting it into shape as the cells are tough. Good part is that heavy rocks are well supported

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Beautiful tanks @Xiaozhuang! Are these your tanks or tanks that you've done for others? This is great info and the pics are great inspiration.

So it looks like you cut, stack, and zip tie the layers together to add height, correct?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Beautiful tanks @Xiaozhuang! Are these your tanks or tanks that you've done for others? This is great info and the pics are great inspiration.

So it looks like you cut, stack, and zip tie the layers together to add height, correct?
All of these are mine own, though some have been taken down and the tanks rescaped. Yeah, you don't need to zip the layers unless you're stacking a taller portion for specific scaping purposes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.