The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any planted substrate can cloud your water during the initial fill, if it is not rinsed correctly. If you take your time filling and use something like a plate or plastic bag to diffus the water, you can help avoid it. I have filled a dirted tank without any cloudiness.
When it comes to replanting or rescaping, over time you will cause a little cloudiness no matter what. Dead plant material and fish waste is going to accumulate in the substrate and when you disturb it, its going to cause a little cloudiness. Now even in a dirted tank my cloudiness goes away over night.
One of the cleanest substrates straight out of the bag is probably ecocomplete. Many people place it straight into there tank and fill. Flourite is really dusty and needs extensive washing. I have no experience with fluval stratum or any of the ada substrates, but I would guess they would be a little dusty and probably would need to be filled slowly at first. Dirt can be done without cloudiness if you take your time and cap it properly with pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand.
It depends on what your willing to pay. Dirt is the cheapest, with ecocomplete/flourite being the middle ground, and stratum/ada being the most expensive. All can be done without cloudiness.

Reactions: sadique_shiblee

·
Registered
181 Posts
When choosing your substrate, make sure to find out if the substrate will leach organics into the water. ADA Amazonia AquaSoil (and most of the other ADA soil types) will leach a large amount of ammonia >5ppm for at least 2 weeks (as I have found), and as many as 8 weeks as some on here have reported. Supposedly this is one of the best (and expensive, as Nexgen stated) for plants. If you go with something like this, you will need a slightly different cycling strategy/timeline, but you can also have the plants take advantage of the ammonia leach, provided other needs are in balance (light, carbon, macro/micro nutrients).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.