The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering changing the layout of my tank down the road, so before I do a huge re-scape, I was just wondering, what are the benefits of different substrates, or here better yet I'll be more specific...

I currently have a gravel/flourite mix and dose EI, but I know a lot of people use soils capped with gravel...what is the benefit of this? Aside from aesthetics, is there any major advantage to changing? I realize some of these soils have nutrients in them, but if you're dosing anyways, shouldn't that be enough?

I have done a ton of reading on planted tanks but substrate is one area I haven't spent a lot of time on. If there's no major advantage I'd prefer not to go through the hassle and I suspect the soils are much more messy to deal with. If it makes *THAT* much different could i just cap it with my gravel flourite mix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
if you dose and are consistent with dosing...there wont be that big of a difference between what you already use and what soil offers

also, if you have fish in the tank, you would have to find a place to store them as the soil goes thru its initial ammonia release and cycle

soil is just an incredibly cheap alternative when first starting out your tank...i wouldnt change an existing tank to a soil tank tho

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great, thanks :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.