The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to this forum. I was wondering if you would recommend eco-complete in a pretty heavily planted anubis/java fern "jungle". my tank is a 55 reg w/about 36 total watts of light. My main concern is my corys. It seems the gravel in there now is contributing to thier barbel erosion. any comments/ideas/experiances are appreciated.
Thanks,
B

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you have no root feeders, I wouldn't even bother shelling out $$ for specialized substrate. Get sand. Your corys will like that much better. That's from all advice I got on planetcatfish. Unfortunately, I do have root feeders and couldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
no need for EC with those plants as they don't get buried in the substrate anyway. Best place is attached to wood or a rock. As for black sand...I don't know, maybe Tahitian moon sand? Most LFS's carry this, that I've seen.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Hi, im new to this forum. I was wondering if you would recommend eco-complete in a pretty heavily planted anubis/java fern "jungle". my tank is a 55 reg w/about 36 total watts of light. My main concern is my corys. It seems the gravel in there now is contributing to thier barbel erosion. any comments/ideas/experiances are appreciated.
Thanks,
B
I would suspect fungus over the gravel for the barbell erosion.....DC

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh im tellin ya ive suspected everything from nitrate poisining to barbal thieves! the thing is, there is nothing on the sub. as far as foreign matter or particulates. my parameters are as follow. ph. 7 nitrate 10ppm nitrite 0 ammonia 0 which are all normal. and where it gets wierd is that not all of them are affected. i vaccuum my gravel 1-2X weekly with 20-25% water changes. i just think that some cories have "softer" bels and therefore is only affecting a few of them. so i bought the tahitian moon sand last night 5 bags i hope thats enough the stuffs pretty pricey! from what i read all i need is a sub thats 3/4"-1" in depth so i think ill be okay. any more suggestions would be great! and thanks all of you for your prior help!

B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts