The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm going to go ahead and get a second tank for fish and will probably go the 40B route. I've only ever used eco-complete and have never used a soil under. Advice on the best route for this would be great. I'm planning on planting the tank and having fish. The soil idea scares me honestly. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you not like the eco-complete? Personally I don't think there is a big difference between the many different substrates used in planted tanks. They all have their pros and cons. You can find successful examples used for just about any type of substrate. Pick something that looks good to you and go for it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
While there may be some benefits to adding soil beneath the substrate, it is certainly not required. There are also plenty of drawbacks to using dirt. Eco-complete is sold "pre-charged" with some nutrients for plants and may require the addition of root tabs after some time. I've found that I prefer finer sand substrates for ease of planting, but I've use eco in the past and found it to be adequate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you all. I used fluorite awhile ago and if I remember it was very tedious to rinse. Not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing or not.
Flourite! follow your heart for whatever you want to use, but most should avoid flourite unless, as you said, they are ready for a cloudy mess sometimes. This is the cloudy mess I always have for a few days after setup. Usually Flourite and play sand as substrate. Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Fixture

Personally, I have found that eco complete is tough to work with because it is close to inert.
Ada is best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did find fluorite very cloudy although it cleared up in a few days. I was sure if rinsing is good or bad? I guess it removes fines so water is less cloudy but less fines for plants as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.