The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm (still) planning a new (likely 48x24x24in) planted hi-tech tank and one of the few aspects I still haven't settled on is whether to install substrate heating cable or not.

I have used it in the past back when I lived in the UK. It seems the concept is less popular here in the US as all the heating cables I've found for sale so far are European imports.

I guess my question is, what experience have folks had with or without heating cables? Of course all the sites that sell them advocate them, but I've not really been able to find an independent analysis, so I was wondering what the general consensus is?

For the substrate, I'm planning an ~3in deep bed of Amazonia.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Paul

·
Registered
584 Posts
the truth is they are optional, you can have an amazing setup with or without hate to be like that but its the case. i prefer metal halide lights over led's and nobody really agrees with that lol, but then again my tanks are old and green so in the end ssok.

the amano tanks you see online aren't using sub heating if that means anything. it was more popular in 90s planted tanks, so I had the dupla 300.00 ones lol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with metal halide lighting over LEDs ... Uv has a great effect on plants

But substrate heating kinda went the way of the dinosaur

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the comments, especially the linked article, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I was tending towards the conclusion that substrate heating was probably just an outdated fashion, and that confirms it!

Thanks again,

Paul

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Substrate heaters may have been useful under older conditions, but are not used as much any more.

Houses were not so warm, or as evenly warm. So the substrate tended to be even cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
To this day, I am unsure I have ever seen a substrate heater on a planted tank in person. I don't think that alone discounts it but I do feel it shows me it's far from necessary. I have seen some seriously beautiful tanks before. I wanted to try one in my nano to heat the tank but then found it wasn't very good at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts