The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am setting up a planted tank and would like to have a good substrate for plants. I will also have co2 and good lighting. Here are my options:

1. Sera Floredepot as undersoil
2. Seachem Flourite Dark/Black/Red
3. Sand
4. Small gravel
5. Medium gravel
6. Medium-Large size porus gravel (it says its good for bacteria growth)

Which one of the above will serve me best or which combination of the above will serve me best?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Whats miracle grow organic?

I Why capped with small gravel and not medium sized gravel, I meanis there a reason behind your choice?

Thanks

Do you have a retail store that sells Potting Mix? For potted plants?

Well you see if your putting "DIRT" into your tank its easier to cap it with a FINE gravel. You typically want 1 1/2 in of Dirt (potting mix) capped with 2" of fine gravel or SAND.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a retail store that sells Potting Mix? For potted plants?

Well you see if your putting "DIRT" into your tank its easier to cap it with a FINE gravel. You typically want 1 1/2 in of Dirt (potting mix) capped with 2" of fine gravel or SAND.
I would love sand....is sand and fine gravel the same effective? Why is it easier to cap?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sand is not better than very fine gravel, in my opinion.

Sera floradepot is fine, but it is very expensive. It is like Jason basically said: you can achieve the same result and use less money with DIRT and a capping material (i.e. sand/gravel/rocks/).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
so is sand better than fine grain gravel?

Can
I use the sera floredepot instead of the dirt from the flowershop?
Better and Best are relative to the suject matter.

With sand and FINE gravel there will be some sinkage. That's why you pack in on. A few directions.

1.Soak the Potting soil for a couple of days in a bucket.
2.This step is different upon WHO you ask.
A. I used 2 bags for Florite, and clay, then placed the dirt on top.
B. Just add the Dirt.
3. Push down (compact) as much as possible. YOU want a slope (F to B)
4. Cap with your choice of cap. I used Fine Black Sand Blasting sand
5. FILL CAREFULLY - use a saucer. Fill SLOWLY it's important.

PACK, pack, pack, and pack. There will be air bubbles, that's ok BUT if you get a big air pocket it will blow your substrate everywhere.

This is a Fun little science proj. You can look at my photo gallery and see mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.