The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I'm lazy and don't want to search tons of threads for a simple answer. Hopefully someone's not too lazy to answer. lol

Anyway... for this 3g do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a big bag of substrate that cost more than the tank?

Thanks
SteveU

·
Registered
65 Posts
for the most part regular aquarium gravel works, but it does depend on what your doing with it.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess I can pull some gravel from an established 20 gallon so it has some gunk in it. I was hoping for something dark though and all my gravel now is natural. Around here it's pretty hard to find gravel that isn't more like pebbles.

SteveU

·
Registered
218 Posts
You've got a ton of options, and I guess it'll depend on how much you want to spend, what you want it to look like, and what kinds of plants you want to grow.

Gravel will work well for most plants. There might be a few with delicate root systems that don't care much for gravel, that need a nutrient-rich substrate, or that don't root very well in it. Gravel is the cheapest and easiest option.

Other substrates: ADA Aquasoil (a plantedtank favorite), Eco-Complete (pricey but solid), Flora Base, Fluorite.

You can also make your own substrate by trying the Walstad method or making mineralized soil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll be running black Turface (well, rebranded black Turface to be precise) in a 3 gallon setup for my wife for Christmas. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a bag of black fluorite from the Doctor last Friday morning. With the flat rate shipping and $5.00 off it wasn't so bad. Haven't seen any confirmation other than the money was taken from PP though. :(
Picked up the heater and filter Saturday to get it started. Not sure on the light, might just do a CF for a start.

SteveU

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i did the black florite in my 5.5 and i like the look of it alot. used about 1/2 the bag, maybe 2/3rds. good luck with the new tank.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just gotta figure out what small plants I'll use and get it started here at the shop. Once it looks good I'll sneak it home. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Just gotta figure out what small plants I'll use and get it started here at the shop. Once it looks good I'll sneak it home. lol

SteveU
i'm kind of at a stand still at that point also. not a whole lot of variety at the LFS around here. when you get some ideas as of what to use please fill us all in?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The LFS around here have swords and houseplants. lol

I'm not so concerned with the trimming that will be necessary but more about finding plants with a small enough leaf size to stay in scale with the size of the tank.

SteveU

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's a short list of plants that stay in scale with < 3g tanks:

- HC
- HM
- Dwarf sag
- UG
- Pygmy chain sword
- Dwarf hairgrass
- Mosses
- Anubias nana "petite"

You can use stem plants in a nano too, they'll just require a lot of trimming to stay short. Some of the larger swords and crypts might make nice plants for the background of the nano, or even as a focal point.

I've done java fern before, and it usually wound up getting a bit too big for my 2.5 gals.

Sometimes the Aquatics section of chain stores like Petsmart will have pots of hairgrass and pygmy chain sword.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice on plants. I'll start looking around for some of those. I have some pygmy chain sword in my 90 but always viewed it as a pest. Might be different in this tank.

Dirt from the Doctor is due on Thursday so I start soaking it then. lol

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Fedex tried to deliver the bag-o-dirt yesterday at 6:38pm. I close at 4pm and left a note on the door on where to leave it. But every other business on our street closes at 5pm. I commend them for their efforts and working OT but it's a business address. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts