The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be setting up a new 20 gallon long setup and I was considering ADA Amazonia for my substrate, but I am now unsure if it is going to be a good choice after reading some of the posts about aquasoil being messy and breaking down here on the forum. I dont want to use an expensive substrate that may end up breaking down and being super messy.

Should I still take a chance and use ADA Amazonia, or should I be safe and use a different substrate? What are other good substrates that you wuold reccommend if you dont reccommend ADA Amazonia?

If I do use ADA Amazonia would one 9L bag be enough to fill up my 20 gallon long tank, or would I need more?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good Questions, Im no expert with ADA but my initial experience is that its very messy and yes it does break down easy so long term durability is questionable. If you squeeze a grain in betwen your fingers, it just breaks down into grains.

Im sure its an awesome substrate but I believe ADA came out with this to avoid having substrate scratching there tanks. It does excel in that area where its not sharp at all.

I used Eco complete and then topped that with a 1inch layer of ADA, but its making a muddy mess that Im dealing with. Im battling a decision whether to leave it or not but I do love Eco Complete and I dont think you can go wrong using a proven substrate!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Questions, Im no expert with ADA but my initial experience is that its very messy and yes it does break down easy so long term durability is questionable. If you squeeze a grain in betwen your fingers, it just breaks down into grains.

Im sure its an awesome substrate but I believe ADA came out with this to avoid having substrate scratching there tanks. It does excel in that area where its not sharp at all.

I used Eco complete and then topped that with a 1inch layer of ADA, but its making a muddy mess that Im dealing with. Im battling a decision whether to leave it or not but I do love Eco Complete and I dont think you can go wrong using a proven substrate!

Yeah I would also want a substrate that lasts longer especially since ADA aquasoil is so expensive! :p

Yeah I have used eco complete before and thought that it was a pretty good substrate. It was really easy to use...I just dumped it into my tank and the water cleared out very quickly.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
ADA aquasoil lasts a long time. some have said after a few years it starts breaking down. I've heard you cna dry it out to get it back to original form.

I currently use Amazonia I and won't ever use anything else again. I've previously used Flourite, Mineralized Top Soil, Sand, gravel but none have been as nice as the ADA.

Craig

·
Registered
140 Posts
i was with mizu-chan when she first switched to ADA AS, and if i remember it took about a month. I think it depends on how many and how much water changes you do.

if your still debating over wether to get it or not, i saw mizus tank grow better in one month than it had in 6 months when she had a mix of eco-complete and schultz aquatic soil just from the AS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard that the growth from the Aquasoil is very good, I was jsut a little afraid of getting a "bad batch" or whatever and ending up having a big mess (that is also expensive).

I was at the LFS today and they had Aquasoil Amazonia for $40 a bag. Is this a reasonable price, or is it sort of expensive?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have heard that the growth from the Aquasoil is very good, I was jsut a little afraid of getting a "bad batch" or whatever and ending up having a big mess (that is also expensive).

I was at the LFS today and they had Aquasoil Amazonia for $40 a bag. Is this a reasonable price, or is it sort of expensive?
That is a really good price. Most people end up paying an arm and a leg with shipping. These days it seems really difficult to decide when you hear about bad batches of Eco-Complete floating around, bad batches of ADA Aquasoil. Even SMS/oildri messes with water parameters(KH/PH) which makes you think twice about getting it. About your only safe bet seems to be mineralized topsoil(if you can get all the ingredients including dolomite and the right type of soil and clay), fluorite(sand, black, or regular), or just plain old pool filter sand capped over some root tabs.

I have had no issues to date with ADA Aquasoil II but I would not risk purchasing it again to set up more tanks given all the issues people are experiencing. I would stick with original ADA Aquasoil which seems to be a much safer bet. If I could not afford it, I would go with mineralized topsoil, redsea flora base(alleged to grow plants as well as Aquasoil but much cheaper), or fluorite sand or regular black.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a really good price. Most people end up paying an arm and a leg with shipping. These days it seems really difficult to decide when you hear about bad batches of Eco-Complete floating around, bad batches of ADA Aquasoil. Even SMS/oildri messes with water parameters(KH/PH) which makes you think twice about getting it. About your only safe bet seems to be mineralized topsoil(if you can get all the ingredients including dolomite and the right type of soil and clay), fluorite(sand, black, or regular), or just plain old pool filter sand capped over some root tabs.

I have had no issues to date with ADA Aquasoil II but I would not risk purchasing it again to set up more tanks given all the issues people are experiencing. I would stick with original ADA Aquasoil which seems to be a much safer bet. If I could not afford it, I would go with mineralized topsoil, redsea flora base(alleged to grow plants as well as Aquasoil but much cheaper), or fluorite sand or regular black.
I think I am going to try and use ADA Aquasoil since I have hear good things about it. I guess ill chance it and buy just one bag to fill up my tank for now and ill get another bag if necessary. The mineralized topsoil sounds like a good idea also, but I dont know if I can find all the things needed to make it, plus i dont know if I am patient enough to go through the process in order to make it lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just ran out to the LFS to pick up some Aquasoil...and it was gone. THey ran out of it for now :(.

I should have picked some up two days ago when I was at the LFS, but I had not decided to get it yet at the time :p.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.