The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda a newb question on this one but the 130g im building is my first serious aquasoil planted tank....How deep should the substrate be for stems and deeper rooted plants as a general rule of thumb? I plan to have a pretty built up elevation twords the back of the tank and had been looking at using lava rock to save some money. I had thought about building up part way with lava rock and then adding an inch or there about of ADA power sand on top of the lava rock and then maybe 3-4" of clay based aquasoil type substrate (ADA, Contrasoil, Tropica sorts of soil). This would prevent having to buy enough aquasoil to make up 12-18" or so of depth.....is that 3-4" of soil with 1" of power sand before the lava rocks deep enough or should I go deeper?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think 3" is optimal...more just might go aerobic on you. Less is possible..but 1" plus isnt good long term. I've never seen the benefit of over 3" despite what is pushed on sketchy science. Over 3" is for ponds and outdoor plants..huge roots systems,thousands and thousands of PAR.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like a plan..but,why the lava rock base? That's usually for those super deep beds that go up the sides or back of the tank. Like a yard and garden raised bed. In the aquarium's bed mounded up by rocks.
3" of gravel and a bit more of sand should suffice.

·
Registered
130 Gallon High Tech Under Construction
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a plan..but,why the lava rock base? That's usually for those super deep beds that go up the sides or back of the tank. Like a yard and garden raised bed. In the aquarium's bed mounded up by rocks.
3" of gravel and a bit more of sand should suffice.
OP first post mentioned a 12- 18 inch bed
Correct, I plan to have exactly that: a super deep bed in parts. There are going to be built up areas with dragon stone terracing twords the back of the tank that would have 12-18" deep beds if I just filled it all in with aquasoil. I plan to use maybe 1/2-1" sized crushed lava rock as discussed to save my wallet from needing so much aquasoil :LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, greetings to all in my first intervention in the forum from Spain.
In my 200 l aquarium I have exactly what you indicate. A bed of clay pellets (Arlita), on top another layer of silica sand and finally the layer of nutritive substrate. In the deepest part it gets a total thickness of approximately 10 "(24 cm). The aquarium is high-tech and has been assembled for 7 years without problems. I believe that the clay bed is a suitable substrate for nitrifying bacteria.
A crushed volcanic rock bed can be introduced, which is also a very good substrate for bacteria, although I think that for anion exchange the clay substrate would be better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oh,ok, I missed that you are doing the raised bed. You know there is a vid of the back of the Amano giant aquarium in Lisbon and I think it was lava stones fist size,then lava gravel..and eventually to the Amazon pellets ADA sells. If I can find that again I will post the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.