The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a decent (it doesn't have to be the best) substrate for fairly hard water that has a GH of 11 and a KH of 7. I've been looking into things and the best I can find seems to be one of:

Fluorite brown
Flora-max
Eco-complete
Turface
AS Ammazonia

The goal is a good looking dark brown substrate that's reasonable for growing plants in. I've pressurized CO2 and a 216W tek light over a 48*18 inch 81 gallon custom tank(starfire I might add). Aquasoil is just plain too expensive at over $400 shipped. Can anyone suggest? I'm leaning towards a blend of fluorite and something...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The ammazonia is more of a black like a dark charcoal grey. THe Ada AS Africana looks more of a dark brown.

For something cheaper, you could go with regular inert gravel - kind of like sandblast gravel and add laterite for a little extra.

·
Registered
47 Posts
soil master

hi i have just ordered a charcoal colored product from lesco.com they also have a brown colored subrstrate for 17 dollars for 50 pounds.go to lesco research the product go to products then put in seed/mulch/soil conditioner the clay and you will see the product its a pro soil master brand.anyways then do a store search type in your zip code and call the closest destributor to you and they will gladly order any product for you with no shipping charges

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Florabase is also good stuff! Its rumored to be made in the same factory as ADA AS!

It's a tan color.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts